Trip Report Cozumel Photos week of May 14 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few macro photos from diving last week. I had not shot macro alot recently so I spent a few days with it. Normally I would use the M.zuiko 12-50 mm with macro (psuedo) for close shots but it does not compare to the M.zuiko 60mm macro prime lens on my Oly EM5 camera. The combo lens gave me a wide variety of options though.

In the past for good macro, many said I needed to have a small aperture and that f22 was some golden number but I reviewed the specs and reviews of the lens and many said it had better capability with bigger apertures like f5.6 - f8 so I thought I would give it a try. I ended up with faster shutter speeds and lower strobe power and seems to work much better especially in sand. The photos did not get blown out as easily. I suspect with smaller apertures I was overcompensating with light and lower shutter speeds. I have less depth of field with the 60mm lens but I am pleased generally with the lighting and softer backgrounds.
I found that it is easy to be a fraction of an inch off on focal point such as the pipehorse where I almost got his eye but not quite. Juvenile drums are almost impossible to focus on.

The current was not too bad for several days last week but occasionally we hit a fast one. Some knucklehead on the boat suggested Punta Tunich and it was ripping. I am pretty sure that diver was me - I don't know what I was thinking. I don't think I got one useful photo the entire dive. I recall at the beginning there were two small batfish but they were far too large for the macro lens and not one photo came out well.

I have more friends coming in next week so I think I will get some wide angle shots. Shooting macro in current is a pain.

Earlier in the week we got some weather in with rain so it was darker underwater.
The water was warm and visibility good. I dove with Bottom Time Divers again and Raul had a new 250 HP Yamaha outboard on his boat. We had 5-6 divers max and one afternoon, we had three.
Parking at the Fonatur marina is still a pain and I really don't expect any changes any time soon.
All currents were running South to North as usual.
All my tanks had good fills.
We have divers choice of sites so we generally say go wherever there are no other boats.

Seems SB is limiting photos to 5 per post now.

Arrow Crab
Coz May 2023 Arrow Crab 001c.jpg

Anemone
Coz May 2023 Giant Anemone 001c.jpg

Goldentail Moray Eel. Most Goldentail Moray eels we saw were juveniles
Coz May 2023 Goldentail Moray Eel 001c.jpg

Goldentail Moray Eel
Coz May 2023 Goldentail Moray Eel 002c.jpg

Longsnout seahorse
Coz May 2023 Longsnout Seahorse 002c.jpg

Additional photos

Longsnout seahorse
Coz May 2023 Longsnout Seahorse 007c.jpg

Pipehorse
Coz May 2023 Pipehorse 002c.jpg

Scorpionfish
Coz May 2023 Scorpionfish 002c.jpg

Anemone shrimp
Coz May 2023 Squat Anemone Shrimp 001c.jpg

Trumpetfish
Coz May 2023 Trumpetfish 002c.jpg

One last one of an urchin. I was surprised at the red color on the body.

Coz May 2023 Urchin 002c.jpg

It was a northern site in the park. I really don't like posting locations of them since they will get mobbed. Many DMs know where it is tho.

Enjoyed meeting & diving with you this week.

Great pics, but I’m pretty sure these weren’t from the day we dove.

Enjoyed meeting & diving with you this week.

Great pics, but I’m pretty sure these weren’t from the day we dove.
Equally.
No, the photos here were from the week before. I am going to look at the photos from this week today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom