Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of baggage fees, it appears that Mexico has a new law that makes the first bag free. The other interesting thing I noticed is that the allowance is 25 kg (55.1 lbs) verses the US standard of 50 lbs, not sure if this is going to cause a problem when a bag is rechecked after customs in the US for a contecting flight. There is also a provision concerning delays between 2 and 4 hours but I have been unable to find details.
Mexico fines airlines for wrongly charging for checked bags
Five airlines fined for charging fees on first checked bag
Mexico's Consumer Protection Agency takes on airline wait times and baggage fees

FWIW

Was charged the bag fee this week by AA and when I questioned the law I was told that was an old law that has been reversed and that they are able to charge the fee.

Also had 3 spare GoPro batteries and a Deep Blue flash light battery and a couple of dive computer replacement batteries in carry on and had no issues with them.

Craig

FWIW

Was charged the bag fee this week by AA and when I questioned the law I was told that was an old law that has been reversed and that they are able to charge the fee.

Also had 3 spare GoPro batteries and a Deep Blue flash light battery and a couple of dive computer replacement batteries in carry on and had no issues with them.

Craig
Interesting new law - I love it though Mexico protecting the consumer from abusive practices!

Craig interesting response from AA rep considering this is a new law, fines levied recently and the article was published less than a month ago - but doesn't surprise me.

Now if profeco would apply these same principles to MX Banks and predatory lending - applied for a MX MasterCard until I saw the interest rate - even with outstanding credit history in MX you're looking at a 37% interest rate for a Platinum card!!! Um no thanks!

I don't like paying bag fees anymore than anyone else but the airlines are going to need to make that income up somewhere. The people save money by packing light may have to pay a portion of it now. Maybe fares should be by the pound, stand on a scale with all your luggage and pay the fee.

I would prefer airlines charge for the convenience of carryon. Have a free checked bag and a "personal item" that fits under the seat. You would get more baggage in the baggage compartment and less in the "people" compartment. Of course they would start seating people in the overhead bins and require an upgrade for an actual seat. Oh well...

I don't like paying bag fees anymore than anyone else but the airlines are going to need to make that income up somewhere. The people save money by packing light may have to pay a portion of it now. Maybe fares should be by the pound, stand on a scale with all your luggage and pay the fee.

It doesn't seem equitable that someone who weighs 300 pounds has the same baggage allowance as someone who weighs 150 pounds. I think you are on to something here.

No airline in the world is going to face the backlash of fat shaming their clients, fair or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom