Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never seen anything like that in all of the many countries my wife and I have visited. If on a dive trip, I have several thousand dollars worth of camera equip in my back pack that gets searched 100% of the time I bring it on-board. I've never been asked to be separated from my bag for the search, ever. Sounds to me like whomever is trying to sell this story to someone, did something stupid and rather than admit it, feels it's easier to blame some Mexican TSA's. Maybe I'm off base, but it doesn't add up.
You are off base on this one. They took some, but not all of his batteries from his carry on and put them in a bin, and apparently put other things in the bin with the batteries. He could not see everything they took, and they only discussed the batteries with him. As mentioned, they were already late for a flight (due to a last minute cancellation of their original flight) so were in a hurry and the security screeners knew it. What was possible was that some items taken out of his carry on were separated from the rest and just not replaced. However, when they called, and had family check at the TSA check in (some of the family was leaving just a couple hours later)- the items were not there, and no one knew anything about them. So if they were taken out "by mistake"- where did they end up?

This is not an indictment of COz. Just cautionary. ... I'd go back.

It still sounds weird to me. I have been through that airport many times and have never seen what you are describing. The security area is a rectangle bound by tables on three sides and the xray machine on the fourth; I don't see how they could have taken the bag somewhere where your friend couldn't see it, and like I said, every time they have gone through our stuff (and last time there were about 200 people in line waiting to go through), they have done it at a table with the security person on one side and me or my wife on the other. Something is not meshing.
He could see some of what was going on- just not all as they took the bag away to one of the other tables and he did not have a clear view. Believe it or don't, just a cautionary tale.

OIC--I've never had anyone go through my carry-on when I wasn't standing right there.

The "bag drag" is looking more appealing.
Neither have I and I go through that airport at least a couple of times a year.

This is slightly off-topic, but are the Mexican officials actually called TSA? I have TSA Pre-Select so I'm used to not having to take out my laptop when sending stuff through the X-Ray machines but one time I forgot while leaving Mexico. I'm pretty sure the Mexicans don't give a rat's butt that I have Pre-Select in the USA :wink:

So, let me see if I have this all straight. When boarding a plane in the USA spare lithium batteries must be in your carry-on and are not allowed in checked bags. When boarding in Mexico spare lithium batteries must be in your checked bags and are not allowed in carry-ons. Now it sounds like all lithium (assuming the OP's flashlights contained Li-Ion batteries) batteries must be placed in checked bags when departing Mexico. Does this sound right and does anyone know where these rules might be posted? I'm hoping SouthWest will start doing flights to CZM (even though they don't seem to have room for another airline company) and would like to get it right.

This is slightly off-topic, but are the Mexican officials actually called TSA? I have TSA Pre-Select so I'm used to not having to take out my laptop when sending stuff through the X-Ray machines but one time I forgot while leaving Mexico. I'm pretty sure the Mexicans don't give a rat's butt that I have Pre-Select in the USA :wink:

So, let me see if I have this all straight. When boarding a plane in the USA spare lithium batteries must be in your carry-on and are not allowed in checked bags. When boarding in Mexico spare lithium batteries must be in your checked bags and are not allowed in carry-ons. Now it sounds like all lithium (assuming the OP's flashlights contained Li-Ion batteries) batteries must be placed in checked bags when departing Mexico. Does this sound right and does anyone know where these rules might be posted? I'm hoping SouthWest will start doing flights to CZM (even though they don't seem to have room for another airline company) and would like to get it right.
This is my take on it. US-lithium in carry-on. Mexico-Lithium in checked. I have only been to Coz from Playa on a Cessna but in Cancun I have had my carry on checked several times and it is always right in front of me and they carefully show me items of concern before they take them. In February this was a fillet knife that I had not remembered to put in checked baggage. Another year it was a little file I forgot about. And they stole all my lithium AA's one year.

Yea, I flew down with a new set of enloops, then had some camera issues and didn't get them out. Totally forgot and hit the Coz airport on the way out with them still in the carry on, still in the package. They of course got them.

This is my take on it. US-lithium in carry-on. Mexico-Lithium in checked. I have only been to Coz from Playa on a Cessna but in Cancun I have had my carry on checked several times and it is always right in front of me and they carefully show me items of concern before they take them.
That's how it's been in Cozumel for me as well, every time, and it's been many times. If the aforementioned incident happened as described, it is the exception, not the norm.

There is no TSA in Mexico, so programs like TSA Pre Check and CBP Global Entry have no meaning there. To add to the confusion, we clear US customs in the Toronto airport when flying to the US so our flights land at the dosmetic terminal at our destination. We have American Customs and Border Protection officers working in the Toronto airport, but no TSA.

Actually, they do have a MX Global Entry. Viajero Confiable for U.S. Citizens | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

We went through it a couple years back. NO ONE was good at the fingerprints and iris scans in the Cancun airport. Took a few hours to get it done. No card or anything. They just give you a letter saying you don't get a card.

So next trip I look at those beautiful VC machines in the entry hall and notice they have cones blocking them off. So I sneak into the national line and ask if the machines work and of course the answer is no. I told him we had VC. He asked to see the card. Then we argued around about the fact there is no card until I found the letter that says, you don't get a card.

Next couple trip, still no work. Then we got our permanent resident cards and we HAVE to see a live person. Grueling experience, we never used once.

But hey in a file somewhere in IMN, there is a note they can trust me.....

For many, may years I've packed batteries for camera, strobe etc. in my checked baggage. Never had a problem. If you have any doubts about anything...don't carry it on the plane. Every year I see more and more people trying to drag more and more stuff onto the plane with them. Yea, baggage fees suck, but much less hassle than trying to carry stuff on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom