Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not that they are stupid (though they may be, I dunno) it's that they have to answer to their bosses for anything they let through that proves to be problematic, and they, like you (and me) will err to the side of caution. They would rather block something that would be OK than let something through that isn't. It's pointless to get angry at them, and at any rate it's not an argument that you can win.

lol, but just saying -you're giving the definition of incompetent as opposed to stupid. Stupid would refer to them being of low intelligence unable to make decisions whether work or non work related. You're just saying they are incompetent at their jobs since they aren't able to make correct decisions since what can or cannot be accepted is a black and white issue, they could err on the side of caution because they are incompetent or they could be competent and just make correct decisions. So they aren't stupid they are just incompetent then.

lol, but just saying -you're giving the definition of incompetent as opposed to stupid. Stupid would refer to them being of low intelligence unable to make decisions whether work or non work related. You're just saying they are incompetent at their jobs since they aren't able to make correct decisions since what can or cannot be accepted is a black and white issue, they could err on the side of caution because they are incompetent or they could be competent and just make correct decisions. So they aren't stupid they are just incompetent then.
Whatever. I doubt that job pays very much or comes with extensive training, and you get what you pay for. My philosophy is that if I stay way back from that admittedly fuzzy line between acceptable and unacceptable, I won't have problems. It works. All I really need on the plane is a book, some music, and my camera. I carry on other expensive and/or hard to replace items that are well away from the fuzzy line - no liquids, tools, knives, batteries, anything that could be used as a bludgeon... and I breeze through.

I do have to retract one thing though; it's not true that I have never been relieved of anything. I just remembered that about ten years ago they took a large carabiner from me. It was worth a couple of bucks. I hope someone found a use for it, but I didn't lose any sleep over it. It wasn't my favorite carabiner. :D

I'm one of the lucky ones, never have had a problem. Glad I was made aware of things via this place.

Also glad it wasn't your bottle biner, that would have been a tragedy.

upload_2017-1-30_17-55-3.jpeg

Just flew out of Cozumel on Sun Country.

Check-In counter had a sign saying no "diving lamps" in carry on baggage.

Regardless of whether they have batteries installed in them? That's nonsensical.

This must be new. I've flown several times with my uwld torch in my carry on. Lithium should be in carry on. Seriously.

Two weeks ago one of our group had several batteries confiscated (but not all his batteries) but did not find out until he landed after the first leg of his flight that his wife's prescription sunglasses and 2 dive computers were also missing. The batteries he gets and were discussed with him- the rest were stolen.

Two weeks ago one of our group had several batteries confiscated (but not all his batteries) but did not find out until he landed after the first leg of his flight that his wife's prescription sunglasses and 2 dive computers were also missing. The batteries he gets and were discussed with him- the rest were stolen.

Ordinarily, checked bags are transferred from one plane to the next when traveling to Mexico so how did he know that the items were missing from the first leg and not the second? Which airport do you suspect that they were stolen at?

These were taken from his carry-on at CZM. Long story but they had a very short time to get to their plane, so couldn't check everything as they left. It was noticed when they landed at their first stop after leaving CZM. They had family still at the airport when they landed so alerted them, and they spoke with the head of security in CZM. Items were not found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom