Cost of dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of spending $1700 on just OW training for the two of you, you might as well fly to Cozumel and do it there in the warm blue waters.

If you find that you don't like scuba , spend the rest on your vacation in cancun...

That's not a bad idea.....

It is incredible that people are crying about the price and making recommendations without knowing anything about the course, the instructor, the facilities, what is included in the course, course time, training quality, NOTHING!

It is incredible that people are crying about the price and making recommendations without knowing anything about the course, the instructor, the facilities, what is included in the course, course time, training quality, NOTHING!

Are you thinking the shop is goin to take he and gf to the keys or the Ow dives and the OP forgot to mention that? What else might make a $300 course worth $875 for the same c-card?

What else might make a $300 course worth $875 for the same c-card?

It sounds like the class is priced appropriately for the area. NY isn't FL.

The real question is what is being left out of the $875 course that allows them to sell it for $300 or even $99.

The dive industry is falling apart because the old model of using training as a loss leader to sell overpriced gear doesn't work anymore in the age of the internet. Sure, sign up for that $99 weekend wonder class then go buy all your gear online. See what happens when you come back next year and there is no place to get your tank filled. Maybe you can order an air fill online.

If the training was priced appropriately it would be in the $800 to $1000 range. I do not understand why instructors continue to teach for less than minimum wage and and try to get assistants to help them with the class for free.

The new business model is sell your training for a reasonable amount that allows profit even when paying assistants and sell gear to match or beat online pricing.

To the OP: I left a detailed response to your same question you posted on another site.

a $300 course

How on God's green earth did you know that it is a $300 course? Based on what information do you have?

The only course possibly worth $765 pp is GUE Rec 1.

Rec 1 is NOT the same as basic OW from the other agencies.

Rec 1 is at least equal to getting OW, AOW, and Nitrox from PADI/NAUI/etc. all at once.

You will get a lot more dives in, a lot more personalized feedback, and typically better quality instruction.

You can also expect a 1:2 instructor:student ratio since it is essentially a private course.

You are joking, right? You would suggest something you have never used?
No I am not joking. I never told him to go buy them. I suggested that he look at them. I am sure his dive shop is not going to have them in stock and are not going to mention them as an option. If I were in the market for a new set of regs I would buy them based on what I have read from others. So I have no problem again suggesting that he give them a look.

U gys think freediving for flounder and tog is best instead of scuba?

I think using correct spelling and complete words instead of the cutesy "u" crap is best. Makes your posts a hell of lot easier to read. ScubaBoard is not texting.

If you're on Facebook, there is a scuba swap and shop group with a lot of good deals. You could probably put together a set of equipment for $1K/person.

Back
Top Bottom