Cost of dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tip. I just joined. I am always looking for a bargain.
The problem with used gear is that the sellers want what they paid for it. It is worth half.

For 1K, I could outfit you in new gear, not used.
Actually less than half, got to figure in service fee on regulator,bcd

That is a realistic price in NY area. Of course that is not just the tuition but most if not all associated costs such as required personal gear of mask,snorkel,fins,boots,learning materials, training dives,rentals for the dives...usually works out anywhere from $800 to $1,000 +.
Group class here is $300 for academics and pool requirements. Training dives $269 includes ow rentals. Does not include transportation, entry to dive site, overnight hotel stay (it is a 2 hour drive back to Yonkers NY)

So you're talking $569 for only the academics, pool, and OW dives, including equipment rental other than personal gear (mask fins snorkel boots) in a group class.

Down here it's $200 for that. Probably closer to $300 if you want PADI.

Last edited:
So you're talking $569 for only the academics, pool, and OW dives, including equipment rental other than personal gear (mask fins snorkel boots) in a group class.

Down here it's $200 for that.
Cost of living in or near the big apple,NYC..incomes here is generally higher ,cost to do business is higher,rent and everything that goes with life is higher here..my 2,400 square ft home on 1/4 acre cost $600,000 + here in Westchester NY, taxes $16,000 a year..what does a home that size and tax cost where you are?

2400 on 1 acre is about $300-400k. Property tax is around 2-2.5% I believe, maybe up to 3%.

Don't waste your money... Do the PADI online training and take a trip to a place like Bonaire, Cayman's or Mexico and do your OW training.. Have a great time... Then, and only then will you know if scuba diving is for you.. Buy your mask, fins and a wetsuit and rent the rest till you have 30 or so dives... Then you'll know if you really like it or not and then start buying gear...

Jim...

2400 on 1 acre is about $300-400k. Property tax is around 2-2.5% I believe, maybe up to 3%.
Big difference..so 4 times more land, 1/2 the price, fraction of the tax..this is why retirees move out of NY ..probably no income state tax on social security and pensions as well.all taxed here in NY.

Don't waste your money... Do the PADI online training and take a trip to a place like Bonaire, Cayman's or Mexico and do your OW training.. Have a great time... Then, and only then will you know if scuba diving is for you.. Buy your mask, fins and a wetsuit and rent the rest till you have 30 or so dives... Then you'll know if you really like it or not and then start buying gear...

Jim...
That can work, but remember you will spend 1 or 2 days in pool to do course on a trip. If Mexico be sure instructor is fluent in your language. Then 2 additional days for training dives.
Over 1/2 of our customers walk into the facility with air line tickets in hand when they sign up for class. We conduct a group class in 1 weekend OR on a private basis on any schedule that fits their needs, we then issue them referral paper work to complete dives on holiday.

Jim...

How do you know that his course is a waste of time?? What do you know about the quality of the training of his course? Do you think that the quickie slap-em and certify them and send home is real course and a better value that produce safe divers?

Are you also calculating the cost of the time he will be spending in training while down south?? Wouldn't it be much better value if he does all of his training in NY and then enjoy his ENTIRE dive trip diving instead of chained by training and pay for the training and the time to be there doing the training??

How do you know that his course is a waste of time?? What do you know about the quality of the training of his course? Do you think that the quickie slap-em and certify them and send home is real course and a better value that produce safe divers?
So true..they know once they teach you they most likely will never see you again. So why spend the effort to create a diver who will actually go diving, who would be able to plan and execute a dive on their own without a DM or instructor hand holding them? Not saying that all instructors in the resort areas do this, but it happens more often than not.

Did it with my son in October.. He did his online training and had a one on one instructor in Bonaire for his open water training.. very nice girl from NJ and he was done in a day and a half... When he passed his class We went diving and I was very impressed with what he learned.. had very good bouncy control, Was weighted right and had all the skill needed to dive safe... The only thing I had to due was to get him to slow down... He was swimming like a motor boat and burning through his air... 2 Dives and that was fixed.... now that he know he liked diving.. He has bought all his gear and he's meeting me in Bonaire for 10 days of diving next month... Total cost of training and get his OW card was less then $500 bucks....

You seem to think blowing a load of money on something they may very well not like is great !!! I have a friend that talked about diving all the time with me... He was on his honeymoon and did discover scuba and crapped his swimsuit trying it.. Scuba was not for him... Even though he talked about it like it was going to be so cool and his new hobby...

Jim..

Back
Top Bottom