Cost of dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You had your own regulator,bcd,mask,fins,computer...that should be figured in for true cost of what you paid for course..so your $550. Now your class works out much higher..closer now to $1,100 if you purchased this gear used to as high or higher than $2,000 +..

I don't agree..

Most ow classes I have seen include basic gear rental. That does not mean you should get a discount if you have your own gear. The shop, or instructor has already encurred the cost of keeping loaner gear on hand for students, and should not charge less if it's not used by the students choice.

Actually less than half, got to figure in service fee on regulator,bcd

I always assume a regulator has never had service so factor that into the cost but if you need to pay someone to service your BCD then you should not be buying used gear. You will end up buying Dacor regs and BCD for what they cost new.

I don't agree..

Most ow classes I have seen include basic gear rental. That does not mean you should get a discount if you have your own gear. The shop, or instructor has already encurred the cost of keeping loaner gear on hand for students, and should not charge less if it's not used by the students choice.
Use of basic gear ,bcd,tank,regulator , weights at times , at pool customarily included..if you have your own course fee stays the same, not discounted...For training dives gear required would need to be rented.

...For training dives gear required would need to be rented.

Not in all cases. Instructor I hired for my kids worked through a shop and everything but mask/fins/snorkel was included.

And for >$800, the rental darn well ought to be included. ...and they should at least buy you dinner first.

I always assume a regulator has never had service so factor that into the cost but if you need to pay someone to service your BCD then you should not be buying used gear. You will end up buying Dacor regs and BCD for what they cost new.
You would be surprised on how little mechanical ability people have..so little that when you shake their bcd it sounds like a baby rattle toy from all the salt crystals in it. We see this all the time. Their inflator sticks when inflate button depressed, if they have a alternate air source integrated into inflator such as a Scubapro air 2 it needs service same do as a regulator would. Right about Dacor gear. Used to be a ok decent line, now most of it cannot be serviced properly due to lack of rebuild kits since they went out of business.

Not in all cases. Instructor I hired for my kids worked through a shop and everything but mask/fins/snorkel was included.

And for >$800, the rental darn well ought to be included. ...and they should at least buy you dinner first.
Ask the instructor what he was paid..was it at least minimum wage for the area..the facility I teach out of pays instructors here more than many others do, and the owner always says it should be more..I would not teach at minimum wage or "for the love of the activity" . That is a problem for this industry,it lowers the value for all..what does a tennis or golf pro get paid per hour? Yes I do like teaching,but not at the expense of it costing myself to do so..I have no problem paying yearly insurance or membership dues, don't even give it a thought, it's the cost of doing business. Many instructors teaching for "the love of it/giving back to the community,,struggle to pay for those expenses because they barely if ever make it back..same instructors teach so rarely that their course is done inefficiently. Ask how many classes a year they teach, probably not even as many of 4 a year with a total of maybe 12participants..I have weeks here that I may teach 3 to 4 different classes in a week alone. I refuse to lessen the cost of my time and experience. In your case the shop chose to to market the course at a possible low cost.. Perhaps their cost to do business is low, perhaps they sell course because that is what their market will bear..all I am attempting to get across is if a person ask how much to get certified a proper response can be after all expenses accounted for such as tuition,books,DVD,mask,snorkel,fins,boots, training dive fees,boat or entry fees to dive site, possible purchase of a 3 mm wet suit, it all adds up.

The experienced divers on this board are quick to recommend buying used gear because they are comfortable doing so. I just bought some used regs I don't really need but I am going to service them myself and they will be like new. I don't really care if they freeflow like crazy when they arrive. A new diver does not have the knowledge to avoid getting screwed on a used gear purchase so should either rent for a while, buy new with warranty, or buy used from a reputable dealer or from an individual with the help of a very experienced friend.

Ask the instructor what he was paid..was it at least minimum wage for the area.

No. and I don't consider that any of my business. Actually, most of the shops around me don't run with 'employee-instructors'. From my observations, most have a referral list with private instructors that work out some arrangement.

In our case, we tracked down our preferred instructor based on a referral and contacted her directl
...I teach out of pays instructors here more than many others do, and the owner always says it should be more..I would not teach at minimum wage

Well, that's great. Your services are worth EXACTLY what customers are willing to pay. Just be aware that (as a customer) I would never pay >2x for a service when I can find quality options more in line with average. And so far nobody has provided any evidence that the OP is getting his money's worth for that $860 class.

..or "for the love of the activity" . That is a problem for this industry,it lowers the value for all..what does a tennis or golf pro get paid per hour?

Maybe a problem for you personally, but how is this bad for new divers? Some of the finest instructors I have met, do this much more for enjoyment and personal satisfaction. And don't use it as a primary income. I get that this must frustrate somebody trying to make diving a full time job, but this is just reality. Outside of resort destinations, instructing is typically a part time gig. ..just like many other things.

.. Ask how many classes a year they teach, probably not even as many of 4 a year with a total of maybe 12participants..I have weeks here that I may teach 3 to 4 different classes in a week alone.

Quantity does not translate to quality. I am sure you are an excellent instructor, but neither the # of students you turn, or your hourly rate of compensation does anything to reinforce this.

..In your case the shop chose to to market the course at a possible low cost..

Not the case.. like I said, our instructor works independently, but does have a shop affiliation.

And I will add, this instructor was certainly NOT our cheapest option. I have seen OW training as cheap as $200 locally (including basic gear). Our cost was $350 + $75 add on for nitrox. I was happy to pay this due to a strong trusted referral and good phone conversation before hand.

I will say again.. I think your services are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. Just don't expect me not to offer up suggestions of where a better value can be had.

Remember, I work hard for every dollar I have too. Please have respect for people doing research to find the best way to spend their money.

You had your own regulator,bcd,mask,fins,computer...that should be figured in for true cost of what you paid for course..so your $550. Now your class works out much higher..closer now to $1,100 if you purchased this gear used to as high or higher than $2,000 +..

You keep trying to justify the ripe off of $865 for OW training.. If he didn't own his regulator and BC it would have been part of the class or $100 bucks tops to rent it... So he'd be at $650 tops... still not even close to $865.... I'd hope the OP is reading all the great posts about how to have fun and save a big pile of dough...

Jim...

You would be surprised on how little mechanical ability people have..so little that when you shake their bcd it sounds like a baby rattle toy from all the salt crystals in it. We see this all the time. .

Beware of scuba professionals that make up ridiculous stories to get at your money.

You might also be surprised at how gullible people can be.

Back
Top Bottom