Cost of dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

/skinsfan0260

$6,000 per student?! Besides cold water, I bet you don't have a long line waiting for that

No ownership of mask,snorkel,fins,boots? They include it in that fee? If PADI , the online course alone was $175. So you subtract the online course fee from $350 and that leaves only $175 to teach class,pay for pool, gear depreciation, insurance, transportation, certification card fees,pay instructor (if they do , at that price not likely) etc.. And this place can stay in business? Good luck to them. They probably have a great deal on getting food stamps.

No you're right. You have to have a mask, snorkel, fins, booties and a reg mouthpiece. They've been there for years and offer a lot of gear and services and they seem to stay pretty busy. Very knowledge group of instructors and sells

Cheap nitrox and air fills too.

Scuba Certifications Jacksonville

I may have remembered wrong. It may be $75 to add nitrox onto the OW cert but either way $350-$375 is what it cost for everything(including online courses) but those few pieces of equipment gas to get to the dive sites and hotel cost for a night.

@noj3333 wallkill, near wallkill senior highschool why u near?
I'm in Walden on weekends....get your gear from Gary in Middletown...he's a member here and a great guy!

There is no way you should be paying anywhere that much for your OW cert!

So me amd my gf have $4750 to use betweem us for scuba, local shop said its 865 for open water included, so 3020 left, now what bout gear and spearfishing gun, wetsuits everything tanks bc’s knifes gloves how much for everything n will we have enough

An 18-year old walks into a dive shop with $5k. Dive shop employee says allow me to help you, friend, as he wipes the saliva from the corners of his mouth.

So me amd my gf have $4750 to use betweem us for scuba, local shop said its 865 for open water included, so 3020 left,

I think many other has said. $865 for OW is crazily expansive. Here in Silicon Valley, arguably one of the most expansive places in the states, it is $400 per person for OW. This include all gear rental throughout the class, pool session and open water session.

Last edited:
GUE Rec 1 will be up there in price. Hopefully that is what the OP was quoted for.

Yes, unless it is from GUE or UTD rec1 kind of class. They product much better OW diver than an average OW class, and I think $865 will be a good value for what you get in return. However, I don't recommend them as your first OW class just because their cert is not as widely accepted as say PADI.

How is this over priced? Say $300 for ow class, $110. For text book,dive planner,DVD,log book.ow training dive with gear rental included $270, required ownership of mask,snorkel,fins,boots range $200-$300. Add in a 3mm wet suit for pool and future dive adventures $200-$300.. I tell people can realistically range $800-$1000 to get certified ..add in cost of boat or entry fee to dive location, maybe overnight stay at a hotel motel for certification weekend..I find it better to be realistic and go high than have them be surprised by unexpected expenses.

I don't know what is the dive shop operation in your region, but here in Silicon Valley, the $400 OW, shop provides all gear rental except personal items (mask, fins, gloves, boots, snorkel). OW students need to have their own log book ($15) and text book, but not necessary the DVD or dive planner table as long as the sharing don't impede the learning process. So this usually can apply to couples such as in OP's case. Now, why add $200-$300 for 3mm wetsuit?? In NY, I double this is useful at all. And sure if you want to include hotel and get away, you might as well include a week long stay in Boa Boa for OW there, it is $10K person in that case.

Cost of living in or near the big apple,NYC..incomes here is generally higher ,cost to do business is higher,rent and everything that goes with life is higher here..my 2,400 square ft home on 1/4 acre cost $600,000 + here in Westchester NY, taxes $16,000 a year..what does a home that size and tax cost where you are?

2400 on 1 acre is about $300-400k. Property tax is around 2-2.5% I believe, maybe up to 3%.

Then you guys have no idea what is high cost of living. A 2400sqft home in my area in a 6000sqft lot will cost $2.5M if not more. $600K will get me a 800sqft 1bedroom condo Property tax is 1.25%. :( I need to move.

Even that, our PADI OW class is $400 person, this is from 2 very well run shops here.

That is ridiculous.

The course is one thing. The gear is another.
He did not need to buy mask,snkl,fins,boots as it was already owned. Most people would need to purchase..did not need to rent regulator, bcd,computer, already had ownership of gear. Most students would have needed to rent...people ask "how much to get certified? ". After all said and done give them a realistic number, not just cost of academics,confined water..also count in ow training dive fees, personal gear costs, rentals.. I can say a class I teach is $299. By the way you need to purchase mask snkl fins boots, learning materials, fee for ow training dives,entry fee to dive site, rentals..list can go on.. Why not be upfront and honest to give them an idea what to budget for?
To scuba dive always cost money..when I got certified a ow course cost $50. Back in 1967..purchased mask,snkl,fins, weights, probably spent another $40-$50..I was a kid of 17 making $86.50 a week then , good pay at the time..Today same job pays around $1,500 + a week..so that is close to 20 times more than it was in 1967.. If scuba course went up at same rate it would now be $1,000 for ow course, basic mask,snkl,fins, would be $800-$1,000. A boat charter out of NJ was $15...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom