Cost of dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now should i even get scuba for spear? Im doing it in nj and long island

I'm in Southern California and using scuba for spearfishing is considered unsportsmanlike.

I suggest trying on masks in every dive shop you go to and spend the money on the one you like the best. You'll want a "low volume" mask for free diving. I use a Cressi Occhio for both. The recent version is the Super Occhio and I would buy it again. For fins, try out different kinds before spending $100-$200.

Shop around, look for good deals. My girlfriend just got a good deal on a 3mm wetsuit at Scuba.com, $50 less than the same one at Leisurepro. What's the water temp like in NJ?

I you can control your anxiety you can get good deals on some stuff (booties, hoods, etc) from China but it might take 3-4 weeks to get it. Personally I would not buy a Chinese regulator, mask, or fins. I would be very careful about buying a used BCD or regulator--if I see verdigris I walk away.

If you look on Craigslist you will probably find nearly new scuba equipment but they often want only about 10% less than what they paid, so before you spend thousands of dollars make sure it's something you are going to continue to do.

Let me reiterate what others have said, $865 per person is highway robbery. That would even be overpriced by more than $300 for two people. Run, don't walk away from that shop.

That sounds like a crazy price for ow basic classes. Find some less expensive classes and spend the remainder on air fills!

Im in hudson valley ny, all other places said 1200 for cert and ow so 865 is best price here

If it's good training with a good instructor who is taking the time with each individual to make sure every skill is mastered and not just done once to satisfy a requirement and check a box then I don't think $865 is too much. Now if you are one of 10 in a class just going through the motions than I would agree that is a bit steep. But remember good training is an investment in your saftey can you put a price on that?

I've watched my local shop train OW students. The instructors were outstanding and they had four students in the course, so each student got individual attention. The cost was $350/person and that included the charter fee for the final check out dives offshore. Private lessons with them are $475.

For your gear, I would suggest you look at deep six for your regs and possibly your fins. I have never used any of their products, but others on the board have, and they get great reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom