Control options for compressors with single phase & 3 phase AC electric motors.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone found this stuff helpful? Or am I just spinning my wheels?
I have been playing with one, doing it on a booster, but still trying it.

I'm still waiting for any discussion about Control options for compressors as indicated by the thread title...

I'm still waiting for any discussion about Control options for compressors as indicated by the thread title...
Contactors, overload relays, manual motor starters, & VFDs are all forms of electric motor controls that can be used on compressors. Is there something specific you are looking for?

What I really want to look into when my schedule loosens up a bit, is variable speed control of a compressor with an O2 infusion from an oxygen concentrater that will allow you to preset a nitrox mix & have the unit self adjust the mix & shut down the system when the desired pressure is reached in the tank you are filling. ...but I thought that I'd start with a few of the basic building blocks first & then work up to PLCs, OITs & process feedback.

The amount I post will be related to the amount of interest that I seem to generate.

Contactors, overload relays, manual motor starters, & VFDs are all forms of electric motor controls that can be used on compressors. Is there something specific you are looking for?

What I really want to look into when my schedule loosens up a bit, is variable speed control of a compressor with an O2 infusion from an oxygen concentrater that will allow you to preset a nitrox mix & have the unit self adjust the mix & shut down the system when the desired pressure is reached in the tank you are filling. ...but I thought that I'd start with a few of the basic building blocks first & then work up to PLCs, OITs & process feedback.

The amount I post will be related to the amount of interest that I seem to generate.
I strongly support your venture on that as that is the ultimate goal I have with my Rix build. The only compressor you'll be able to practically do this with is a Rix though as an FYI as the others don't have wide enough of an RPM band and are also too big/fast. You have to slow the pump down to about 1.5-2cfm depending on nitrox mix to sort out the O2 concentrators output which is quite low. Biggest ones are 10lpm so you'd have to daisy chain them to the stick.

I'm interested in solutions that handle the following:
  • stop the compressor if the oil pressure in the last stage isn't built up after 10 seconds
  • timer (15min/6s) for condensate draining
  • turn off the compressor at a specific pressure
I've been using a self-designed controller since two years successfully, now redesigning that so I can control it from my phone.
What I really want to look into when my schedule loosens up a bit, is variable speed control of a compressor with an O2 infusion from an oxygen concentrater that will allow you to preset a nitrox mix & have the unit self adjust the mix & shut down the system when the desired pressure is reached in the tank you are filling.
Isn't the major drawback of oxygen concentrators that argon is part of output?

I'm working on an automatic continuous blending controller at the moment, using a K14 with 900 to 1000 rpm. Oxygen and helium flow are controlled by motorised needle valves. Gas sensors measure the mixed gas, a processing unit reads the sensors and adjusts the needle valves.

I'm finding this all very interesting and useful. One question; where do you put the jumper on a 3 phase magnetic contactor when using it on single phase?

I'm finding this all very interesting and useful. One question; where do you put the jumper on a 3 phase magnetic contactor when using it on single phase?
You run from hook up your motor to load A and C. Wire your inlet to A and AB, connect load B to inlet C. That will equalize your power draw across all three legs.

I'm interested in solutions that handle the following:
  • stop the compressor if the oil pressure in the last stage isn't built up after 10 seconds
  • timer (15min/6s) for condensate draining
  • turn off the compressor at a specific pressure
I've been using a self-designed controller since two years successfully, now redesigning that so I can control it from my phone.

Isn't the major drawback of oxygen concentrators that argon is part of output?

I'm working on an automatic continuous blending controller at the moment, using a K14 with 900 to 1000 rpm. Oxygen and helium flow are controlled by motorised needle valves. Gas sensors measure the mixed gas, a processing unit reads the sensors and adjusts the needle valves.

ahh, I think we were staying on the different motor control options, PLC is next though.

For OC diving the argon is not a concern

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom