Bauer Capitano 3 phase to single phase conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the information. I actually spoke to wolf automation and ordered a VFD from them. Everyone convinced me it was the best way to go. The only question I have is about controls. Will the VFD effect my controls at all?
I'm going to say it shouldn't. Without seeing the specifics of your wiring diagrams I can't confirm that for sure. You will have to look at the box and preferably a diagram if it is available to see. There were so many variants of these that it is almost impossible to say for sure. In an ideal world the control system is only tapping onto 1 or 2 of the phases and wants either 120vac or 240vac input *208 on 3p, but 200ish volts, for controls they aren't too picky*. If that's the case then the VFD goes after the main power switch and the only thing on the output is the motor. If for whatever reason they used all 3 phases for the controls then you have to put it where the 3p plug was. Most of the controls don't care about frequency and you're only using it for soft start and stop so they'll get 60hz all the time anyway, but it is technically best practice to only have a motor on the output side of the VFD and all controls before hand.

If you have the wiring diagram then please post it, if not, please take some good pictures of the inside of the electrical box and we can try to back through it

I'm going to say it shouldn't. Without seeing the specifics of your wiring diagrams I can't confirm that for sure. You will have to look at the box and preferably a diagram if it is available to see. There were so many variants of these that it is almost impossible to say for sure. In an ideal world the control system is only tapping onto 1 or 2 of the phases and wants either 120vac or 240vac input *208 on 3p, but 200ish volts, for controls they aren't too picky*. If that's the case then the VFD goes after the main power switch and the only thing on the output is the motor. If for whatever reason they used all 3 phases for the controls then you have to put it where the 3p plug was. Most of the controls don't care about frequency and you're only using it for soft start and stop so they'll get 60hz all the time anyway, but it is technically best practice to only have a motor on the output side of the VFD and all controls before hand.

If you have the wiring diagram then please post it, if not, please take some good pictures of the inside of the electrical box and we can try to back through it
I have the requested wiring diagram along with the legend and the title block. Not sure if the last 2 are really relevant but for completeness sake I included them. Also the title block says that it is sheet 1 of 2 but I do not have a 2nd sheet. It also appears that the control voltage is 115 and it is being pulled off of L1 and L2

IMG_0593.jpg
IMG_0594 (1).jpg
IMG_0595.jpg

@Morgan00 so based on that you will have a little bit of adjustment to wiring, but not really. It will largely have to do with how the L1/L2/L3 disconnect is sorted. Looks like the controls are 120vac but there is a transformer to take it off of ~240v so you won't have an issue with controls.
What is weird is if you look just to the right of where the control taps are you see what looks like the symbol for a capacitor but also seems to have 1m which is indicated as motor starter. The VFD is going to replace the motor starter or capacitors, whichever it actually is, so the output will still go to the 3 wires on the motor *it should be noted that you should start the motor without the belt on for the first time as it may be wired to go backwards. It's not a big deal, just swap any two wires and it will go forwards again but it's a weird thing with 3-phase motors. You should be sorted with following l1/2/3 in that order but you never really know for sure until you turn it on.

What is not shown on that diagram is what is actually turning the motor on and off so you'll have to find that wire and the e-stop to fully use the VFD properly but it can take a simple start signal and it will run when it sees it and not when it isn't there

@Morgan00 so based on that you will have a little bit of adjustment to wiring, but not really. It will largely have to do with how the L1/L2/L3 disconnect is sorted. Looks like the controls are 120vac but there is a transformer to take it off of ~240v so you won't have an issue with controls.
What is weird is if you look just to the right of where the control taps are you see what looks like the symbol for a capacitor but also seems to have 1m which is indicated as motor starter. The VFD is going to replace the motor starter or capacitors, whichever it actually is, so the output will still go to the 3 wires on the motor *it should be noted that you should start the motor without the belt on for the first time as it may be wired to go backwards. It's not a big deal, just swap any two wires and it will go forwards again but it's a weird thing with 3-phase motors. You should be sorted with following l1/2/3 in that order but you never really know for sure until you turn it on.

What is not shown on that diagram is what is actually turning the motor on and off so you'll have to find that wire and the e-stop to fully use the VFD properly but it can take a simple start signal and it will run when it sees it and not when it isn't there
I believe that it does have a motor starter. I don’t see any capacitors in the control box. I put some photos with this post so that if im wrong you can correct me.
IMG_0596.jpeg
IMG_0597.jpeg

@Morgan00 yeah so the module labeled 1m is going to be what the VFD replaces. The easiest way to splice it in is probably with a DIN rail terminal blocks. Put the terminal blocks where the starter is and then run wires from the VFD to the terminal blocks. Will need 6 terminals for reference. L1/L2/Signal input, L1/L2/L3 output. Ground will be a new wire to the terminal block which looks like there is a space.

What is interesting is that the motor starter looks like a contactor so it's not really a starter. The wiring diagram you posted does not show where it is getting its signal wire to pull in. That signal wire is going to have to go to the VFD as its on/off signal.

@Morgan00 yeah so the module labeled 1m is going to be what the VFD replaces. The easiest way to splice it in is probably with a DIN rail terminal blocks. Put the terminal blocks where the starter is and then run wires from the VFD to the terminal blocks. Will need 6 terminals for reference. L1/L2/Signal input, L1/L2/L3 output. Ground will be a new wire to the terminal block which looks like there is a space.

What is interesting is that the motor starter looks like a contactor so it's not really a starter. The wiring diagram you posted does not show where it is getting its signal wire to pull in. That signal wire is going to have to go to the VFD as its on/off signal.

The coil for contactor 1M is shown on line 9 of the drawing.
The illuminated on/off rotary switch is shown on line 6 (light line 4)

If I can read the terminal block numbers correctly? 2nd and 3rd terminals down (are they labeled 1 and 3?). There is a solid link between them. This would assume there is no emergency stop shown on line 5. Is there a physical emergency stop button?

There appears to be no 3 phase cables coming into the box. Maybe they were originally connected to the top of 1M contactor? The cables to the fuses can be seen connected to the 1M contactor.

The drawing and the photo shows a timer (1TMR line 13) for the drain solenoids (1SV line 15). Don't see anything connected to terminal 14 in the photo.

Little baffled why there is only 2 cut wires connected to the overload.

Edit. As the motor is not connected to the control box. Did the fire department have its own control box and this one was not used?

Back
Top Bottom