Conshelf Xiv Service Without Special Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I did this mainly as a learning exercise. Manuals are available online, parts kits are readily available, regs needing service are cheap on eBay.

I did the first and second stages, without any special tools. I needed an IP gauge and an o-ring pick, but I don't consider those special.

The 1st stage required snap-ring pliers to disassemble. I had those.

Reassembly is notoriously difficult, but I just made a little wooden jig out of a scrap of wood and a 1/2" dowel, like this:

P3280017.JPG

Then I used parallel jaw clamps:

P3280014.JPG

And compressed the snap ring with pliers.

P3280015.JPG

The 2nd stage is supposed to require a poppet wrench and a bent screwdriver. With care I was able to use an ordinary screwdriver for both purposes without scratching the threads. I did use a 1/4" open end wrench.

It all went smoothly, more or less, and I learned a thing or two about regulators.

I just make the stack of parts on the first stage as it sits on the work bench... use a 1/4 wooden dowel to push down as I close the snap ring... Works... but . I did finally order the tool from Herman...

Jim...

Last edited:
Proper job 2air.

I've serviced more than my fair share of Conshelf's and I find that it is very rare that I need to do any adjusting of the 2nd stage.
If they are working properly and aren't leaking or rattling I'll just remove the orifice nut and get some grease on the threads and o ring and put it back together.
I can't remember the last time I've actually needed to change the LP seat on a 2nd stage. I've stopped buying seats for my personal regs as I think I've only used one in the last 10 years (I have at least 30 sets of 14's, 21's, 22's and SEA's).

Why so many?........I use them as barter. I'm currently living on a cruising sailboat and if you help me clean out a clogged heat exchanger you might get a reg set if you want it.
They are the ideal reg for typical use and storage on a sailboat (used hard, never rinsed, and stored in appalling environment).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom