CO Analysers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN sells CO analyzers though? :idk:
No, of course not. The disappointment is that DAN and the agencies do so very little to warn or the dangers or suggest the importance of tank testing. DAN did gift Meridiano with Analox inline monitors, but those can be ignore when busy - the time a compressor is most likely to produce CO internally.

The problem with DAN and the agencies getting onboard with the need seems to be money. Telling students that they need to buy & use tank testers could greatly discourage new divers and the business they bring to the sport.. With the continued lack of sufficient exams disclosing CO injuries and even deaths, and with such being written off as travelers flu and drowning, the companies can continue to ignore the risks.

Last edited:
On my last trip to coz I tested around 60 tanks and the results ranged from .7ppm to 1.9ppm. All came from meridiano. I was a bit taken aback to see the fill station at la caleta had no snorkel. Any engine exhaust that drifted by their door was compressed into those tanks IF their filters were not maintained properly. I routinely read 3-4ppm as the background CO when first turning the unit on just by being in the area. If there was an engine running nearby it would redline. Yes, testing is good.

Did you dive with those tanks?

If the tanks are on the boat when they pick you up, your choice is to either dive or miss a day of diving--or even your entire trip. I get it that calling a dive for this reason is like calling a dive for any other, but what does one do if essentially ALL the tanks offered during a trip read higher than whatever threshold you would tolerate if you were diving locally?

I don't have any problem diving 1.9. That's rather good in fact. I would consider higher numbers relative to the planned dive depth. I haven't had to make a hard choice yet but it is interesting that they vary by almost three fold. If I were diving a significant bottom time with a PPCO of 10 or greater, I would try to find another tank. I think each diver has to find the level they are comfortable with and that is a good thing.

I am drawing the line more conservatively than most people. I don't really test because I'm afraid of a 4ppm reading as much as I am a total filter or intake failure that would be a serious, no doubt about it risk.

I have certainly exposed myself to very high levels when I start up my mower in the garage and drive it out. I have been exposed even worse when working on a job with a kerosene heater trying to keep an uninsulated building warm. I can't even remember all the times I've been exposed. Hunting camps as a kid? I've known people that died from space heaters. The numbers I'm talking about diving are minuscule by comparison but it is different while diving in my opinion and I don't want to get a really bad tank and find out after the fact.

I try to pass my tester around the boat but more people than not decline to use it even though it is as simple as snapping it on to their inflator hose and watching to see if the reading starts to rise. 15 seconds tops and yet they can't be bothered. Again, I think each diver has to find the level they are comfortable with and that is a good thing.

Thanks Ray. I don't wish to derail into another debate about CO testing and what thresholds people are comfortable with, when the OP only asked about brands.

If you're looking at the ToxiRAE 3, then I would suggest the MSA equivalent (because I work there). They are both good instruments though. Not as easy to use on scuba cylinders as the Palm maybe. They are designed to measure ambient air and be worn on a belt during the work day around the refining plant or in the mine. I know the MSA one is an industrial-quality unit that was designed to be used all day every day.

MSA Single Gas Detector, Carbon Monoxide - 2YA39|10092522 - Grainger

I bought a BW Technologies CO analyzer about 10 years ago, still using it. The analyzer is so small that it easily fits in my shirt pocket.

galert-xt_3_1_1_1.gif

BW GAXT-M2-DL GasAlert Extreme Single Gas Detector, Carbon Monoxide (CO), 0 to 1000ppm

I've had to replace the sensor once in 10 years.

My old analyzer requires semi-annual calibration with a small tank of 10 ppm CO calibration gas. I've done about 15 calibrations and the cal gas tank is still 2/3 full.

I understand that the newer models have auto-calibration features and don't require a cal gas.

I bought a BW Technologies CO analyzer about 10 years ago, still using it. The analyzer is so small that it easily fits in my shirt pocket.

BW GAXT-M2-DL GasAlert Extreme Single Gas Detector, Carbon Monoxide (CO), 0 to 1000ppm

I've had to replace the sensor once in 10 years.

My old analyzer requires semi-annual calibration with a small tank of 10 ppm CO calibration gas. I've done about 15 calibrations and the cal gas tank is still 2/3 full.

I understand that the newer models have auto-calibration features and don't require a cal gas.

How does that connect to the tank? Do you just put it in front of the valve and bleed some gas? Sensor life is one of the biggest flaws in my cootwo.

...... The DiveNav CooTwo is a great unit, and you can get a model that does CO & O2 at the same time. Pricey, but easy to use....

We also have monOx (CO only analyzer) that retails for $229.99 and is as easy to use as its big brother cootwo

.... Sensor life is one of the biggest flaws in my cootwo.
The sensor life is determined by the manufacturers of the sensor cells and we respect their recommendation.
Better safer than sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom