Classes still calling "HELP" during training at CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freediver:
Well then, perhaps, the instructor (or anyone) should be in close proximity to the student/victim to be able to evalute their ability to say exactly what is needed to be said during the time of a crisis! To all of those who say "YELL PIZZA", are you truly saying that it takes practice to be able to yell what is necessary in the event of an emergency??

Please tell me what is exactly suppose to be said during an actual in water emergency from the stand point of the diver(s) in need...and any diver responding to assist?

freediver:
To all of those who say "YELL PIZZA", are you truly saying that it takes practice to be able to yell what is necessary in the event of an emergency??

I don't think that your giving the human race enough credit. I mean really, if you are in a class where you yell something as rediculous as "Call for Pizza!"...are you truly saying that someone's natural instincts wouldn't come out and say "Call 911" or "Help" in an actual rescue? I don't see anything wrong with changing what everybody knows you are "practicing" so that there isn't any confusion in the event of a real emergency. Forcing people to whisper, say, or yell for help or to call 911 is forcing people to cry wolf. IMOHO

Foo2
:popcorn: can't wait to see what people have to say....

In the case of an emergency, do I think someone will yell 'pizza' instead of 'help' because that is what they did in training? - No. I am pretty certain they will yell 'help' or other appropriate term.

In the case of an emergency, do I think someone who was not trained to yell for help might get so caught up in dealing with the victim that they may indeed forget to yell for help? Yes. It is the same reason why during First Aid/CPR training you are taught to point at someone and tell them to get help. To get into the habit of doing it.

freediver:
Well then, perhaps, the instructor (or anyone) should be in close proximity to the student/victim to be able to evalute their ability to say exactly what is needed to be said during the time of a crisis! To all of those who say "YELL PIZZA", are you truly saying that it takes practice to be able to yell what is necessary in the event of an emergency??

Straight from the PADI instructor guide. Page 3.86 in a little side box in little print.

"Note about calling for help: Under stress people tend to do things the way they've practiced them. Therefore it is best that students train by doing what they would do in an actual emergency as mush as possible. The optimum call for help is what they would really say..."

This is NOT in bold. So it is NOT a standard. I interpret it as a suggestion. It does not state that it must be yelled.

I'll be teaching a rescue class the end of August. My students (if I have any) will be taught what should be done in an emergency and will be practicing good habits without creating unnecessary commotion.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
I'll be teaching a rescue class the end of August. My students (if I have any) will be taught what should be done in an emergency and will be practicing good habits without creating unnecessary commotion.

Sooooo.....they'll be calling for chinese?:eyebrow: :D

foo2:
Sooooo.....they'll be calling for chinese?:eyebrow: :D

I liked what Vercingetorix posted over on the ScubaToys forum. We were all yelling pizza and call domino's and our instructor bought us pizza for lunch. He said if he had it to do over again this time he'd be calling for pizza and beer. :D

TwoBitTxn:
My students ... will be practicing good habits without creating unnecessary commotion.

TwoBit

Therein seems to lie the dichotomy. But whoever is acting as the victim(s) is not, at that point, actimng as a student. If the right to yell HELP whenever you please is pushed too far, you may end up losing some training facilities. It looks like a problem that instructors are going to have to find a glood solution to, or risk losing some instructional facilities.

The rescue slates take it a little bit further with a similar guide box on slate #10. The wording here is even more clear that it is not a Standard to call for help.

"Under stress, people tend to do what they've practiced. It's preferable for students to train by doing what they would in a real emergency as much as possible. The optimum call for help is..." "...In some training locations bystanders may not be aware that there's a class in progress - take precautions."

TwoBit

Just a week ago at CSSP....I was directly involved in a 2 divers in water rescue were I swam from shore....once the divers thrashing of the water caught my attention the calls for HELP began....because this is a facility used for a lot of Rescue class training...I hesitated for a split moment to confirm to myself that this was not a class in practice.....the yells for HELP were distinct but still I double checked before starting my assist. The point being that if a this facility and others that are used for training insisted and require divers/instructors/DM's to use words like PIZZA in practice...then the need for me in this case to hesitate and 'check' would not occur. Now having gone through an actual rescue with real life threating conditions...ever 'freaking' second counts! For classes using the word HELP in practice can and 'will' slow the response to actual emergences....in talking with other instructors that assisted on shore that afternoon...they to looked and double looked before relizing the situation was real and then they responded.
Bottom line as a dive Pro myself....and I have said it earlier...use other words in place of HELP in practice....if not you could cost someone their life. I can 99.9% assure you that if divers practice with words like PIZZA in Rescue classes....when the time comes they really need to yell for assistance---the word HELP will come forth and not PIZZA.

Calling for Chinese won't work 'cause they live too far away!

'And I thought we had already been over this before and that it was decided by a 4 to 1 vote that we were not supposed to bring Cheese or Pizza into the water at CSSP :huh:

So I guess it's OK now right ? The fish will love it !!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom