Classes still calling "HELP" during training at CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freediver:
I think using "help" is appropriate. Naturally, a softer tone should be used. If the amplitude of the summoning word is being used for realism then why would we remove the realism from training by substituting another word?

By not using the word (HELP) in Recsue classes by know means dampens the training situation and makes it any less effective training or real....but using it in a 'softer' tone---what ever that means.. still can be miss construde by those of us not privy to a Rescue class in progress.

freediver:
I think using "help" is appropriate. Naturally, a softer tone should be used. If the amplitude of the summoning word is being used for realism then why would we remove the realism from training by substituting another word?

How do you make sence of a "softer tone " in a 30 acre piece of property ?
I guess as long as you tell all of the other 200+ people at the park that.....
""""help:11: """"" is a meaningless term then .. sure use it... :shakehead

Don't yell for HELP unless it's for real otherwise .............
Just stand next to the Wind Chime and salvation will come .

Just because a class is there gives nobody a free pass to cry Wolf.

IMHO

In our class we were told to say "Call for Domino's". But in the heat of the moment, trying to remember everything else to do in the drills, a "help" or two definitely slipped out of my mouth. I immediately followed it with a "This IS a DRILL, repeat, this is a DRILL, I meant call for Domino's". The instructors did intentionally 'trick' us by pulling a drill when we were told to ungear and half-unprepared, in order to try and simulate the not-sitting-around-waiting-for-it nature of real emergencies a bit, and it did get the juices flowing.

That, and the rescue classes do try to stay in the 'back' away from most of the divers, since recovering a diver down often also stirs up the muck....

I agree we should all do what we can to not desensitize divers to real emergencies. But short of only permitting drills on different days entirely (? is that possible - negotiate to have the place opened one weekday a month or something for rescue classes??) I don't know how to avoid the 'urgency' of the call still coming thru in drills regardless of the words......"you play how you practice" so just pretending too passively and quietly is just not really testing you.

I am a DMC in the class that is being discussed, assuming you're talking about the class at the north end near the plane. I was probably one of the people you heard calling for help based on the instructors instructions. I know the lead instructor at the other pavillion next to ours was notified there was a rescue class in progress. If he didn't pass that along to his very large group of people, that isn't our fault. And as stated earlier, it isn't realistic that everyone at the lake will get notified. As a "lowly" DMC, I will leave the philosophies of this discussion to those with more experience. However, as mentioned by Illini Fan, we did follow PADI standards, and Robert's standards by doing it in the proper location. FYI and fair warning, we will be there Sunday doing it again.

We had a RESCUE class a few years ago at our local quarry. The instructor went around and told everyone not to repsond to yells for help as they were doing the class.

Well, some time later, someone pops the surface and starts yelling for help. People looked over the water, and then went back to whoever they were talking to, thinking this was part of the class....

The person yelling for help was not part of the class and was yelling help for real.

In this case, this instructor could have cost the "real victum" their life.

pretty stupid huh?

Funny how Solo Diving just gets safer and safer all the time huh :rofl3:

Marvel:
:rofl3: Tell Pete I am royalty...
Yeah a Royal Pain in the... :D Bwahahahaha! You asked for that one my dear!

As for using the word "HELP" in a class, I find that unconscionable! I do a lot of my rescue classes right in a crowded area called Alexander Springs. I tell the lifeguards on duty and instruct my students to maintain SILENCE! They will yell on their own if/when the caca really hits the fan. Even then we still have to chase off one or two good Samaritans. To that end, no one does an evacuation without a chaser to gather gear and to explain to the worried.

Pete ...... I've never met her till recently but she seems sweet to me. :14:

Come on... Tell her she's Royalty

Oh BTW... 'pleasure having you drop by the swamp :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom