Choosing a shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

Im going to be diving several times a day on a long term basis in water that is 27 - 28 degrees surface temp. I am looking for a shorty because it will be easy to put on and take off, but I will need to be warm enough on a 30 - 40m dive. I also have a body that is relatively narrow on the hips and waist and large on the chest. I don't mind spending some money.

Any help would be really appreciated. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of shorty talk.

Thanks!

Matt

P.S Im based in the UK

Are you planning on buying the shorty online or from your LDS? If from LDS, go try several on and find what fits best.

You will suffer from cumulative heat loss. Get a fullsuit. With proper fit and technique donning and doffing should not be an issue.

Plus + on the fullsuit......

Warmer and protection......

Something like a Hyperstretch is very easy to don and doff......

H2® Jumpsuit

Hope this helps....M

I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but I wore a shorty for my OW cert and over the course of three days ended up with some really...interesting...tan lines. It's warm here so I got to show off my awkward stripes often :p

Get a full suit. Preferably a 3mm, though you can get a 1.5 or a skin if you wish. Even in a 3mm, you can get cold by your 2nd or 3rd dive even in warmer water.

I'm a believer in always wearing a full covering. Google Vibrio.

27-28 = 80-82F, but what is it at depth?

Whatever, I vote with the fullsuit crowd, for the protection if not the warmth. It doesn't have to be hard to get into. Maybe get something like hyperstretch. Or even get something like a 1mm skin for protection - easy to put on - then layer a shorty or vest over it as needed.

I don't see people wearing shorties much except for rentals, where the ability to fit more people is a real benefit. Suit you buy for you only has to fit you.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Full suit seems to be the general consensus. I will definitely look at some full length suits. Has anybody had a good experience with a good shorty? I don't feel the cold that much and Im usually pretty good at not touching anything I don't want to. The tan thing Iv experienced before but I tan well anyway so Its never too bad (thankfully). There must be a worthwhile shorty around; I know people who are already working in the same waters use shortys in the hot season.

Matt

I'll be honest, in Bonaire I used a 2mm Bare shorty that had an exquisitely close fit and it did me well. I used it for most of out 18 dives. Had we not lost some dive time to interruptions I think I would have been running on empty though.

Tropical sun is a wicked beast and the outlines of the suit and boots were uncomfortably vivid in spite of minimal exposure. We were lucky that nothing too offensive was in the water at the time. There are plenty of times when the water is filled with pesky little critters (stings, bites, burns, rashes) that make full coverage the way to go.

Next time it will be a full suit.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom