Full Suit Skin vs Shorty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah the flat lock seam leaks a ton. Hold it up to the sun and you can see the light coming through. It is a strong and comfortable seam. Remember you have a back zipper down your whole back which leaks more. As mentioned, you are over thinking this.
LOL, overthinking is one of my specialties :rofl3:

I'm a little confused on the flat lock seams recommendation. If those allow more water intrusion, does that not counteract the whole point of having a more compression resilient neoprene? the flatlock idea was a late-night thought on my part and not a tried or tested recommendation.

Sorry for any confusion - -the flatlocking idea it was more of a late-night thought than a tried recommendation. I will give it some more thought and maybe a test run before bringing it up again :)

Best you contact the shop and talk to one of the guys with (way) more design experience than I.

Best,
Derek

So among Lavacore, Exotherm, Sharkskin and Thermocline is there the one you would generally prefer?

I use 1mm full suit and if it’s warm I don’t and if it gets colder like mid 70’s I’ll put on a second 1mm, they hold up fine and don’t cost much, pack easily and light.

I have a shark skin, not as warm as the 1mm and takes a long time to dry.

So among Lavacore, Exotherm, Sharkskin and Thermocline is there the one you would generally prefer?

Do you mean Exowear, instead of Exotherm?

I like my Exowear better than my Lavacore. I haven't really tried the other 2.

I've got my eyes on a 1.5mm neoprene full suit right now. Just got to see if it fits good enough. With the exowear and my SS BP/W, I'd probably be negatively buoyant. The neoprene suit will probably be about 40% less expensive too. We'll see if I can snag one and if it fits.

I've got my eyes on a 1.5mm neoprene full suit right now. Just got to see if it fits good enough. With the exowear and my SS BP/W, I'd probably be negatively buoyant. The neoprene suit will probably be about 40% less expensive too. We'll see if I can snag one and if it fits.
1.5 mm of neoprene is going to result in very little buoyancy, just so you’re aware. Maybe 1 pound or so? But it will give you more lift than the exowear for sure.

(If you are using a regular stainless steel backplate I would still go with a regular 3 mm suit, but that’s my bias :wink: )

With the exowear and my SS BP/W, I'd probably be negatively buoyant.
Don't forget about the dive location -- warm water is often AL80 and salt. If that's the call, then I think you'd have to have one of the thicker SS plates to not be positive.

Don't forget about the dive location -- warm water is often AL80 and salt. If that's the call, then I think you'd have to have one of the thicker SS plates to not be positive.
With a 3mm in tropical water and a bulky rental BC, I needed 10 lbs. I'm assuming going to SS BP/W and not having the 3mm fullsuit would be 10 lbs. That's where I was thinking I would be negative or break even. With a 1.5mm, I figure I'd carry about 2lbs of ditch weight. We'll see how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom