Time for a new drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. Local shop wouldn't be able to do much more than box up the suit and send it back to DUI. If I bought off the shelf it would be online and if I did a custom order from the LDS, lead time would the same, or more. They quoted 16 weeks last Friday. If they can repair a DUI in house, they should be able to repair this one also, so no real benefit buying locally, other than just supporting the local shop. They get plenty of my money anyway. :)

Buying a US made suit was important to me, so I shelled out $4100 for a custom DUI FLX Extreme two years ago. Very happy with it.

Lead time bothers me more than the cost. When I decide I want something, I want it now.

Question on undergarments. Shopping around it looks like the Seaskin thinsulate undergarments are not a bad deal, even after shipping and customs. I would do that in a separate order if I can't find a domestic option. I think the LDS has some on the shelf. Seaskin has 150 and 250 thinsulate. Not sure what I need. Maybe both to cover all the bases. Never dove in a membrane suit. In my CF200 I wore a heavy fleece one piece in Maine in the winter. In warmer water, like 70+ or so I would likely just wear something light like thermal underwear. In tropical water, I'm not even sure I would take the drysuit out of the bag.

Looks like they recommend the 250 for the Nova and the 150 for the Ultra.

Looks like they recommend the 250 for the Nova and the 150 for the Ultra.
I think it’s far too individual to base on what someone else does. Do you get cold easily, will you be exerting yourself much, how long will you be down, how many dives per day, etc. My undergarments range from light fleece to a snowmobile suite to cover temperatures from 34F to 60F and various durations, frequency, and levels of effort.

Decision just got easier. I was in NJ for the weekend and a LDS had Bare, Hollis DX 300X and DUI Yukon 2 on the shelf in my possible sizes. Non of them were an acceptable fit. Just waiting on a reply from Seaskin on lead time and I have a question on the boots.

I am a size 11 shoe but to accommodate heavy socks, I have to go up to a 12 (winter boots). Not sure if I should spec my street shoe size or winter boot size. If I give them my street shoe size will they allow for heavy socks. If I get a size 11 boot, I wont be able to fit heavy socks.

Also trying to decide if I want a p-valve. I made another thread about that.

Decision just got easier. I was in NJ for the weekend and a LDS had Bare, Hollis DX 300X and DUI Yukon 2 on the shelf in my possible sizes. Non of them were an acceptable fit. Just waiting on a reply from Seaskin on lead time and I have a question on the boots.

I am a size 11 shoe but to accommodate heavy socks, I have to go up to a 12 (winter boots). Not sure if I should spec my street shoe size or winter boot size. If I give them my street shoe size will they allow for heavy socks. If I get a size 11 boot, I wont be able to fit heavy socks.

Also trying to decide if I want a p-valve. I made another thread about that.
Lead time is 3 months……get a pee valve…just go with your normal shoe size. There’s plenty of room.

Lead time is 3 months……get a pee valve…just go with your normal shoe size. There’s plenty of room.
Robert, do you have the Seaskin boots? If so, I have really wide feet, could you speak to the width of the attached boots?

Robert, do you have the Seaskin boots? If so, I have really wide feet, could you speak to the width of the attached boots?
I do have the tech boots, I wouldn’t say my feet are wide, but if they were I think I’d still have plenty of room. I usually just wear 1 pair of wool socks, but I could easily wear 3 pair.

I’m getting the tech boots also. You guys sold me on the p-valve. Balanced or unbalanced. All things being equal, balanced sounds like the way to go.

Sounds like you have pee a bit in the unbalanced to prime so there is no air. Since I may not even need to pee, I’d rather not soil the system if I do t have to.

I do have the tech boots, I wouldn’t say my feet are wide, but if they were I think I’d still have plenty of room. I usually just wear 1 pair of wool socks, but I could easily wear 3 pair.
So when you ordered with the tech boots you just gave them your street shoe size?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom