Time for a new drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Evertech utilizes the O-Rust system. I don't use drygloves as I am a harvester / hunter and just prefer to use 5mm gloves. Pectin scallops are like little razors and will breach a dryglove quickly. I also like the option of removing my gloves if interacting with wolf eels or octos. I keep an extra set of wrist and neck seals in my save-a-dive kit and can change out in about 5 minutes if needed. Have not needed yet.

I'm confused over the wrist seal options. They have "SiTech docking system 60910 fitted" and "SiTech oval cuff rings (SiTech seals)". The oval option sounds better. Both appear to be compatible with a dry glove. What do you all think?

I'm looking at the SiTech Oval cuffs with the Rolock dry glove system myself. Still working on the diet and exercise plan so not ready to do measurements yet.

Next option. Boots vs compressed neo socks. Never had one with neo socks, only boots. I'll likely never be without fins. Can't see myself needing rock boots or anything other than the run of the mill drysuit boot. So many options. Tech boots look nice.

1) When I call around to dive shops, I'm hearing lead time anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months. Does anyone know for sure what I can expect on a custom fitted suit?

Other than sizing, is there any glaring reasons to choose one over the other? Looks like Hollis and DUI use replaceable seal, but DUI is proprietary. Not worried about cost of seals. More worried about availability in the future.
Caveat, I am a DUI dealer and tend to be a bit biased.

DUI has been around longer than most, I don't think their seals are going anywhere soon.
I am a big fan of the zip seal system.
You will pay more for a DUI than a SeaSkin. US company made in the US paying US living wages tends to cost considerably more.

As to lead time, current as of middle of December.
1673140770120.png

DUI lead times are about the same as Seaskin. I can find XXL Yukon 2 on the shelf. Leaning towards Seaskin but still sort of on the fence. Might sound trivial, but one option I really like it a relief zipper. When I was diving commercially, my personal suit was DUI and every suit on the boat was DUI. Never had any issues that I would consider the fault of DUI. My only concern with Sealskin is the whole overseas thing. My PTSD is kicking in just thinking about our past customs nightmares.

If they had a sketchy reputation, I could understand the concern about being overseas, but they don't. And shipping probably takes what, a few days longer? I guess it depends on how you would be buying domestically. If you feel the need to buy at a local dive shop so you can drive down the road and address an issue, then that may be the route you have to take.

DUI lead times are about the same as Seaskin. I can find XXL Yukon 2 on the shelf. Leaning towards Seaskin but still sort of on the fence. Might sound trivial, but one option I really like it a relief zipper. When I was diving commercially, my personal suit was DUI and every suit on the boat was DUI. Never had any issues that I would consider the fault of DUI. My only concern with Sealskin is the whole overseas thing. My PTSD is kicking in just thinking about our past customs nightmares.

The process was extremely smooth, you order and it ships out 3 months later, took like 3-4 days to get here after they shipped it. Paid customs through UPS. Easy.

Got my Seaskin order put together. Just want to confirm lead time from them. This is basically my dream suit for $1135. Fingers crossed on customs. If I'm going to wait either way, this seems like a better option. Looks like I'll be diving wet for a few months. Can't hurt to have a 7 mil as a backup anyway.

Not to change the subject, but for temps 40-50 would you go straight 7mil or 7/5? Dive shop says anyone diving this time of year is in a 7mil.

Got my Seaskin order put together. Just want to confirm lead time from them. This is basically my dream suit for $1135. Fingers crossed on customs. If I'm going to wait either way, this seems like a better option. Looks like I'll be diving wet for a few months. Can't hurt to have a 7 mil as a backup anyway.

Not to change the subject, but for temps 40-50 would you go straight 7mil or 7/5? Dive shop says anyone diving this time of year is in a 7mil.
I'm warm and wore a 7mm in 44F. First dive was fine but by the end of the second dive, I was ready to get out. I wasn't shivering but I wasn't really comfortable either. Full disclosure, that was in a rental wetsuit. Maybe a higher quality suit would have been fine for me. There are lots of folks around here that use a 7mm and add a vest also.

If they had a sketchy reputation, I could understand the concern about being overseas, but they don't. And shipping probably takes what, a few days longer? I guess it depends on how you would be buying domestically. If you feel the need to buy at a local dive shop so you can drive down the road and address an issue, then that may be the route you have to take.
Agreed. Local shop wouldn't be able to do much more than box up the suit and send it back to DUI. If I bought off the shelf it would be online and if I did a custom order from the LDS, lead time would the same, or more. They quoted 16 weeks last Friday. If they can repair a DUI in house, they should be able to repair this one also, so no real benefit buying locally, other than just supporting the local shop. They get plenty of my money anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom