Time for a new drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ross19966

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My last drysuit was bought back in the mid 90's. It was a DUI CF200 (I think. It was a long time ago.) I'm looking at DUI Yukon 2, Hollis DX 300X and Bare Aqua Trek 1. I chose those 3 because I can find them on the shelf in 2x and 3x sizes. That said, my measurements are not a perfect match to the size charts for any of them. I would say the Hollis is the closest. My preference would be the DUI, but that all I've ever had. I would be diving in temps of low 40's to tropical, which is why I think Trilam would be a better option. Honestly, in tropical water, I would probably just use a shorty wetsuit. So I have a few question for those more experienced with the different brands.

1) When I call around to dive shops, I'm hearing lead time anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months. Does anyone know for sure what I can expect on a custom fitted suit?

If I bought a Yukon 2 off the shelf, I can get close to the size chart but not dead on. Here are the measurements from the chart vs me. I'll list the ones that are off. How critical will these measurements be? This is for DUI 2XL. I'm measuring waist around belly not belt line.

Height, me = 72", chart = 74"
Chest, me = 48", chart = 47-49"
Waist, me = 44-45", chart = 45-47"
Hips, me = 45", chart = 44-46"
Spine-Wrist, me = 31", chart = 32-33"
Floor-crotch, me = 35", chart = 37-38"
Shoe size, me = 11 (12 with heavy socks), chart = 12-13

I line up to an XL better other than the chest. my 48 against the chart 44-46. The 2XL is pretty close other than the crotch to floor. is a 2" difference here going to mess me up? I wish I could just try on all three but that's not an option.

On the DX 300X I line up preety well to a 3X other than the height and weight. Height, me = 72, chart = 74-78, Weight, me = 235, chart = 260-296. The Bare 3X is about the same. Other than hips. Me = 45, chart = 47-49.

Other than sizing, is there any glaring reasons to choose one over the other? Looks like Hollis and DUI use replaceable seal, but DUI is proprietary. Not worried about cost of seals. More worried about availability in the future.

My local dive shop quoted 4 months on a custom Yukon 2. I can wait but I'd rather not if I can go off the shelf.

Many Thanks

I went through this exact same drill a little over a year ago.... I'm 6' 1" and 250.

No doubt that custom is always the better way to go but at 6ft and 235 I'm guessing that you're a good candidate for a stock XXL Trilam. What I did was take advantage of SCUBA.COM's no hassle fit policy.... I bought the DUI Yukon II, the Scubapro Evertech and the DUI Cortez all in XXL....... and they were in stock and all delivered within 5-6 days. I then was able to really evaluate size, fit, features, etc in my own time and at home with no pressure... I ended up buying the Scubapro and returning the DUI's. I just liked the fit, flexibility, thigh pockets, metal zipper, zipper cover, Sitech valves and boots better. I also liked the Sitech user replaceable wrist and neck seal system...

It's a bit strange laying out $6K + upfront with the intent of returning two of them but I discussed everything upfront with the online chat rep and then took screenshots of the conversation as back-up... It all worked out fine and the returns were credited back as soon as the return was confirmed. This pic below is the intial "try-on" of the Evertech and before I made my decision and changed out the latex neck seal with a silicone and then trimmed. So maybe keep that in mind when trying on suits and making a decision because that untrimmed latex seal on my 68 year old fat neck was really uncomfortable and was a real choker!

Also, I wear an Aqualung Glacier Series MK2 undergarment in XXXL and the water temps up here in the Pac NW are pretty much always between 48 and 52F.

WqznkJ4.jpg

I went through this exact same drill a little over a year ago.... I'm 6' 1" and 250.

No doubt that custom is always the better way to go but at 6ft and 235 I'm guessing that you're a good candidate for a stock XXL Trilam. What I did was take advantage of SCUBA.COM's no hassle fit policy.... I bought the DUI Yukon II, the Scubapro Evertech and the DUI Cortez all in XXL....... and they were in stock and all delivered within 5-6 days. I then was able to really evaluate size, fit, features, etc in my own time and at home with no pressure... I ended up buying the Scubapro and returning the DUI's. I just liked the fit, flexibility, thigh pockets, metal zipper, zipper cover, Sitech valves and boots better. I also liked the Sitech user replaceable wrist and neck seal system...

It's a bit strange laying out $6K + upfront with the intent of returning two of them but I discussed everything upfront with the online chat rep and then took screenshots of the conversation as back-up... It all worked out fine and the returns were credited back as soon as the return was confirmed. This pic below is the intial "try-on" of the Evertech and before I made my decision and changed out the latex neck seal with a silicone and then trimmed. So maybe keep that in mind when trying on suits and making a decision because that untrimmed latex seal on my 68 year old fat neck was really uncomfortable and was a real choker!

Also, I wear an Aqualung Glacier Series MK2 undergarment in XXXL and the water temps up here in the Pac NW are pretty much always between 48 and 52F.

WqznkJ4.jpg

Thanks for the input. I might just roll the dice on the Yukon. I did send an email to Seaskin to see what lead times are to the US. We'll see what they say. Their Nova looks like a nice suit for just over $1000US. Just out of curiosity, how was the fit on the Yukon? We are similar in build.

Thanks for the input. I might just roll the dice on the Yukon. I did send an email to Seaskin to see what lead times are to the US. We'll see what they say. Their Nova looks like a nice suit for just over $1000US.

It’s about 3 months and absolutely worth the wait.

Thanks for the input. I might just roll the dice on the Yukon. I did send an email to Seaskin to see what lead times are to the US. We'll see what they say. Their Nova looks like a nice suit for just over $1000US. Just out of curiosity, how was the fit on the Yukon? We are similar in build.
A little tighter then the Evertech across the chest and shoulders....

Looks like everyone except Seaskin is using plastic zippers. Are the platic zippers holding up OK? I had a metal zipper separate once at 90 feet. Not looking forward to a repeat on that.

Looks like everyone except Seaskin is using plastic zippers. Are the platic zippers holding up OK? I had a metal zipper separate once at 90 feet. Not looking forward to a repeat on that.

You can get the plastic YKK zippers on the Seaskin nova suits. Plastic zippers seem to be very reliable now. They used to not be so…

I have a masterseal t-zip and I find it both more comfortable and more sexure than my old brass zip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom