Choosing a Basic Wrist Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Frog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a USD Matrix about 25 years ago and generally wore it wrist mounted. As I consider a replacement, I see some (Aqua Lung, Zoop, etc) retailing for around $300 or so, then some like the Perdix Tern at about twice that. I need help making a decision.

I am a very casual, occasional, shallow, warm water rec diver (air only) diving only a few times a year. I’m perfectly satisfied with the old Matrix, but I “need” something newer. To be used as described, would there be any advantage to buying the Tern, or could I get by just as well for half the money with the Zoop or Aqua Lung i100?

I would prefer some actual experiences over advertising hype. Thanks in advance!
🐸

Well, I certainly don't think you need a Tern unless you're looking for that watch-style form factor. For what you're describing you can't go wrong with a Peregrine - those pop up here for sale used semi-frequently. Love mine.

The best value "entry level" dive computer in my experience is the Oceanic VEO 4.0. It will have everything you will need plus more, except for air integration and compass. Their price is competitive.

I have been using them when teaching my students how to use dive computers in my entry level courses and they are great (replaced Suunto computers).

Check: VEO 4.0 - Oceanic Worldwide

I wouldn't buy a Suunto Zoop or AquaLung anything at this point.

You'd also be fine with a Mares Puck Pro, which can often be found on sale for under $200. The Divers Supply "Mystery Box 1-Button Computer" is usually the Mares Puck Pro -- you can compare the descriptions and read the reviews.

Edit: as for actual experience, my son and I have both been diving Puck Pros for over 5 years, and they really cover all the basics a recreational diver really needs. I now also have a Shearwater Perdix 2, which I wanted for compass and the display for night dives, but I still wear my Puck Pro as a back-up/redundant computer -- if you set the conservatism on the least conservative setting, it's not that much different than the Shearwater, at least for dives I do (which sound a bit deeper than yours, often past 100 feet, and also include nitrox).

I bought a USD Matrix about 25 years ago and generally wore it wrist mounted. As I consider a replacement, I see some (Aqua Lung, Zoop, etc) retailing for around $300 or so, then some like the Perdix Tern at about twice that. I need help making a decision.

I am a very casual, occasional, shallow, warm water rec diver (air only) diving only a few times a year. I’m perfectly satisfied with the old Matrix, but I “need” something newer. To be used as described, would there be any advantage to buying the Tern, or could I get by just as well for half the money with the Zoop or Aqua Lung i100?

I would prefer some actual experiences over advertising hype. Thanks in advance!
🐸
Why do you need a new computer, is your Matrix not working correctly? Your diving is most simple. All you need is NDL on air.

Do you already have your everyday smartwatch? If not, how about you consider using your dive computer as your everyday smartwatch. Personally, I'm using my Garmin Descent G1 as my everyday watch. When I go diving, I can also use it as my dive computer. It's like killing two birds with one stone. You can look into other smartwatch + dive computer such as other Garmin Descent Series or Apple Watch Ultra. The main reason that I chose G1 is because my wrist is tiny, even Mk2s looks huge on my arm.

To expand on my previous post a bit… I love and will continue to dive my Matrix if I can find the #*&$@* thing! I’ve been moving stuff around and put it and my log book in a safe place. So safe even I can’t find it!

If I do get another computer, I don’t think I need AI (remote or otherwise) nor any kind of Nitrox or other such. I like the idea of a wristwatch style and sized computer, so I’m leaning in that direction, thus the mention of the i100, Zoop, and Tern.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them comin’!
🐸

I own and have dived my Zoop Novo on 200+ dives and it's going strong. Nothing wrong with it, I know exactly how it works and it's probably the most common rental computer on the planet, meaning it can be serviced anywhere and any DM will know how to operate it.

Having said that $300 is way too much for one. A quick google showed me they can be bought new for sub $200 and for that price I think it would fit your diving perfectly. The only real downside is that it doesn't come with a PC cable, meaning you cannot download your logs.

To find your Matrix, buy a new computer as soon as possible. You’ll find the old one soon thereafter. Peregrine is the easy button here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom