"cheap"/rec AI DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During a recent dive trip both of my DCs (Cressi Newton and divecomputer.eu) developed some issues - nothing too big (I didn't have to abandon or delay any dive) but still kind of alarming. In any way, I think it is finally time to go AI.
I've got a relatively good deal for a lightly used Perdix AI with 2 transmitters (in fact I will need only one), but still the sum is quite large (~1000euros).

It is now quite clear to me that I will not follow the technical diver path, hence maybe the Perdix is overkill. I know Shearwater is top. I don't doubt it - I am just saying that they might be too much for my needs.

I was looking for alternatives and realized that there is no "easy" way to find AI enabled DCs other than search their specs one by one. Hence I am looking for suggestions.

Requirements:
- AI
- I prefer Buhlmann but I don't need it to be fully adjustable (all of my dives are with 50/75). I could live with RGBM.
- Overall cost (including transmitter) below 1000 euros or preferably much less (if more I'd go for the said perdix).
- The local second hand market is very limited so I don't get good deals often. Importing from abroad (eg US) is not possible due to huge custom fees, so probably we are talking about new.

Type of diving:
- As I said I've tried tec dives (I am advanced nitrox/deep certified) but I don't see myself going that way. My diving future will be recreational.
- Once a week or so I dive locally 1 or 2 dives, usually solo, max 100ft/30m with nitrox, occasionally with light deco (<5mins)
- Once a year I usually do a dive trip - ~20 or so rec dives over a week

Thanks a lot in advance

Here's a quick sum-up of AI dive computers...

Add the Ratio computers as well...

So having a computer you can easily see, don’t have to hit a different button for backlight, good UI, understandable menu, takes AA battery is overkill? 🤦‍♀️

I don’t get the mentality.

Put the perdix in rec mode and dive it. 1000 euro is a fantastic price especially with 2 transmitters. If anything you can always sell 1 of them and recoup 300.
Can I sell it for 300 ??? They are the older type (not swift)

These two SP dive computers are coming out later this summer. I think they meet all of your requirements including pricing if you can wait:

Two New Dive Computers from Scubapro for 23! LUNA 2.0 (with & without Air Integration with GF) with aggressive pricing

The expected retail prices in the EMEA region are:
LUNA 2.0 (non-AI) is 460 Euro
LUNA 2.0 AIR INTEGRATED (transmitter not included) is 535Euro
LUNA 2.0 AIR INTEGRATED WITH SMART+ PRO (includes the latest version of the transmitter) is 779 Euro

Here's a quick sum-up of AI dive computers...

Add the Ratio computers as well...
That's the type of info I was looking for. Thanks.
I need to go through the list.

These two SP dive computers are coming out later this summer. I think they meet all of your requirements including pricing if you can wait:

Two New Dive Computers from Scubapro for 23! LUNA 2.0 (with & without Air Integration with GF) with aggressive pricing
That's something I didn't know and looks promising.
I've had very bad experience with new, promising DC (see divecomputer.eu piece of crap ). These ones though are backed by a serious company. I might consider them, as I am not really in hurry. Can't find them though anywhere in Europe (for preorder) to get a feeling of their european price.

BTW is Scubapro using proprietary transmitters or the general ones shared by several other manufacturers ???

...BTW is Scubapro using proprietary transmitters or the general ones shared by several other manufacturers ???
Proprietary Scubapro transmitter, not PPS MH8A/Shearwater Swift transmitter.

The Oceanic Geo Air is not shown in link supplied by @Cheizz The computer runs DSAT and PZ+ and it comes with a PPS transmitter for $800 in the US.

Given the GF high you use, any of the computer brands would probably work for you.

Best of luck in your search

Back
Top Bottom