Choice of 2 Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoPo9157

Registered
Reaction score
Which should I go with:

1) Used Scubapro MK17 S555 $227

or

2) New Hollis 221/D3 $179

Reasons why or pros and cons would definitely help. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You need to think final cost. If the used SP is not serviced it will need to be which will cost you probably $100 or so dollars. So now you are at $327. If cost is an issue the Hollis may be better.

I would buy the SP mk17/S555 any day over the Hollis. If you buy the Hollis let me know where this SP is for sale and I will buy it.

You need to think final cost. If the used SP is not serviced it will need to be which will cost you probably $100 or so dollars. So now you are at $327. If cost is an issue the Hollis may be better.

It might need to be serviced, but what a used reg needs is to be inspected, which could be very inexpensive. It's also misleading to simply tack on $100 to the 'final cost' of the used reg. The fact is that all regulators need to be serviced periodically and the final cost of ownership is the purchase price plus all service costs over the life of the reg. For anyone foolish or unfortunate enough to be part of the 'free' parts programs that require annual service, this will really add up and for the vast majority of divers is serious overkill.

I don't know anything about Hollis regulators so I can't offer an opinion about that one, but the MK17/S555 for $225 is a good deal.

Go Hollis never ScubaPro.

I just found out the ScubaPro is no longer available. Just found a deal on the Zeagle Envoy for $229. Opinions?

As much opinion as you want to give

First I'd like to know more about you as a diver. Where in CT do you live? Do you dive locally? How often do you dive?

Back
Top Bottom