Choice of 2 Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SP has big heavy 2nd stages, difficult to service without special tools. And the tank straps on their bcd's are a pain to adjust. i hate SP, but then again im practical.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2013 at 12:06 AM ----------

that zeagle envoy you mentioned is the way to go. thats what i use and ive never had a reg that breathed perfectly upside down til that one. i also service it myself easily. the only somewhat out of the ordinary tool you need is the rifht size pin/hook spanner.

SP has big heavy 2nd stages, difficult to service without special tools. And the tank straps on their bcd's are a pain to adjust. i hate SP, but then again im practical.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2013 at 12:06 AM ----------

that zeagle envoy you mentioned is the way to go. thats what i use and ive never had a reg that breathed perfectly upside down til that one. i also service it myself easily. the only somewhat out of the ordinary tool you need is the rifht size pin/hook spanner.

I wouldn't call the S600 big or heavy.

....or difficult to service.
The only real difference between the 600 and Zeagles is a clip that holds the barrel in place.

and running air tools is related to second stages and breathing how?

I see your point, which is why I suggested ether one to the OP. At most, only 2 people would be breathing off the first stage and one operating a BC, ether is adequate for that. The 17 is great for chilly diving and so is the 25. My point being that if I can breath off the 25 in 40 degree water and operate the air tools without icing, while maintaining the IP the second likes, then I consider the 25 to be of higher performance under load. The 17 does not ice but can't supply the volume the 25 does. The G250, G250V and the later model S600 (one with the chrome face and says S600 under the round purge button) are balanced, all metal tube and housing (Cold water) that is not that sensitive to IP swing. But when I use the 17 for the same purpose, there is a slightly noticeable change in the breathing efficency of the same second stage that I had been using for the 25 op.

I grew up, so to speak, on US Divers Calypso balanced piston firsts and unbalanced all metal seconds. The first stage under those conditions is critical to good performance of the second. Some of the other regs of the era, like Dacor and Scubapro, would under a load, cause you to have to suck for air with one breath and force feed you on the next. My presumption being that the first stage will have an effect on the efficiency of the second. So by using this equipment under far more adverse conditions that a sport or tech diver would encounter, establishes a set point for performance. Kind of like a fighter jet... If it can make 11 G turns without breaking up, while the pilot can only stand 6 to 7 G's without passing out, it is more than adequate for the purpose. However if the other fighters breakup at 9 G's, the 11 G fighter would be considered to be of higher performance.

So over the years as I started upgrading my equipment, I tried different manufacturers under these same load conditions. Scubapro was my choice for performance, maintenance and price.

in absolute mesurements of performance the 25 will have an edge but for practical purpose they will not see any difference when they breathe of the second stage.
I do not observe that 1st stage makes a difference. My convered Pilot running on MK5 breathes noticibly better than S600 or A700 running on MK25. S600 and A700 are tuned to 1" and .8" respectfully.

in absolute mesurements of performance the 25 will have an edge but for practical purpose they will not see any difference when they breathe of the second stage.
I do not observe that 1st stage makes a difference. My convered Pilot running on MK5 breathes noticibly better than S600 or A700 running on MK25. S600 and A700 are tuned to 1" and .8" respectfully.

For all practical purpose you might feel quite well a difference if you should use an unbalanced 2nd.

The MK25 is a very well balanced 1st stage, if one can consider a MK17 balanced, depends on the definition of balanced 1sts.

For what I have seen, up to now is the MK17 IP output not nearly as stable as the one of MK25s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom