Choice of 2 Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If want a sealed reg, get this one for just a little more than a used one.

Scubapro MK17 AF DIN300 Chrome G250V The Best Antifreeze FreeShip CH | eBay

IF you want a high performance breather

Scubapro Regulator MK25 DIN300 Yoke G250V from Selected Dealer CH | eBay

I stick with Scubapro because they don't require babying. It takes years for the o-rings or seats to take set. I have one mk17/G250 that has never been touched since new - 7 years.

This is an international dealer I buy from. free shipping. Look their store over

the second option is not more "performance breather" than the first. it will breath the same as it uses the same second stage :)

If want a sealed reg, get this one for just a little more than a used one.

Scubapro MK17 AF DIN300 Chrome G250V The Best Antifreeze FreeShip CH | eBay

IF you want a high performance breather

Scubapro Regulator MK25 DIN300 Yoke G250V from Selected Dealer CH | eBay

I stick with Scubapro because they don't require babying. It takes years for the o-rings or seats to take set. I have one mk17/G250 that has never been touched since new - 7 years.

This is an international dealer I buy from. free shipping. Look their store over

It might need to be serviced, but what a used reg needs is to be inspected, which could be very inexpensive. It's also misleading to simply tack on $100 to the 'final cost' of the used reg. The fact is that all regulators need to be serviced periodically and the final cost of ownership is the purchase price plus all service costs over the life of the reg. For anyone foolish or unfortunate enough to be part of the 'free' parts programs that require annual service, this will really add up and for the vast majority of divers is serious overkill.

I don't know anything about Hollis regulators so I can't offer an opinion about that one, but the MK17/S555 for $225 is a good deal.

When purchasing a regulator of unknown background it is always best to figure in another $100 or so for service so you are not disappointed if it requires service. Also even if it doesn't require service some of us would service it anyway for peace of mind.

The Hollis is a balanced turrentless first with a balanced non-adjustable second. Cave Adventurers were selling them a few months ago for $129 or $139. From all reports it breaths as well as regs at higher price points.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 09:24 AM ----------

I just found out the ScubaPro is no longer available. Just found a deal on the Zeagle Envoy for $229. Opinions?

When the Envoy can out it was considered a good breather and was rated a "best buy" by one of the mags. One thing nice about Zeagle is they sell parts to end users.

I own both. I run air tools (under water) off the 25. The IP only drops about 20PSI, The 17 chokes.

Balanced piston regs like the ScubaPro MK25 and the Hog BP2 can deliver an insane amount of air. But you would never breath that much so it really doesn't matter. Diagphram regs like the ScubaPro MK17 and the Hog D1 also have very good work of breathing.

I own both. I run air tools (under water) off the 25. The IP only drops about 20PSI, The 17 chokes.

The MK25 is pretty awesome with regards to IP recovery and stability. But, in terms of a single diver breathing of a tank while diving, I agree with elan that you'd never be able to tell the difference between a G250V on a MK25 and one on a MK17.

Meanwhile, one thing we can ALL AGREE ON is that Tim Duncan is having an unbelievable night....Spurs up by 12!!!

Back
Top Bottom