China Southern Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Considering using this airline SFO to MNL roundtrip. Anyone fly with them? Seems alright for budget travel.

Well I am patient when it comes to on-time travel. Not so much for unexpected delays or inexperienced pilots.

Years ago, I'm convinced that Japan Airlines pilots saved our lives flying into New Delhi India. We hit a cyclone and the plane went sideways with lots of bumping.

The pilot temporarily diverted us to Karachi Pakistan. Good move.

They wouldn't be my first choice of airline but hey, I've flown Susi Air :)

Basically the same as an LCC - you get what you pay for. A long trip?

So interestingly enough I have been pointed to the more obvious choice Philippine Airlines. They tend to have non-stop shorter flights. Some flights were Boeing 777.

And positive reviews. I would pay a middle price for that airline instead of the cheap fare.

Our experiences with Philippine Airlines have been pretty good. Personally I would choose it over China Southern.

Something to consider - when flying through Manila, if you have a connecting domestic flight and are not staying over in Manila in between - it's very nice if you don't have to change terminals. (While there is now shuttle service within Manila airport that _should_ make it easier than it used to be, the airport is such a mess I don't know that I would trust my plans to it. Comments on the reliability and timeliness of the shuttle are not exactly all stellar.) Looks like China Southern currently uses Terminal 1, which is probably the least desirable of the international terminals. If you have another flight within the Philippines good chance you will be flying either Philippines Air (Terminal 2) or Cebu Pacific (Terminal 3).

Prices have been all over the map. I'm not too worried about a budget airline if it gets there without some strange delay, like 17 hours stuck at an airport.

Philippine airlines website ups the price after your initial visit. So while the flight would be good, the website experience is less than stellar.

JustFly had a price at $599.00 roundtrip. So it is difficult for me to make a decision.

Our experiences with Philippine Airlines have been pretty good. Personally I would choose it over China Southern.

Something to consider - when flying through Manila, if you have a connecting domestic flight and are not staying over in Manila in between - it's very nice if you don't have to change terminals. (While there is now shuttle service within Manila airport that _should_ make it easier than it used to be, the airport is such a mess I don't know that I would trust my plans to it. Comments on the reliability and timeliness of the shuttle are not exactly all stellar.) Looks like China Southern currently uses Terminal 1, which is probably the least desirable of the international terminals. If you have another flight within the Philippines good chance you will be flying either Philippines Air (Terminal 2) or Cebu Pacific (Terminal 3).

Not the only airline that to ever do that, though I don't seem to run into it much. May depend on the sites I happen to use and direct vs consolidator sites, but prices can change quickly for other reasons too. Clear your cookies, or use a different browser next try (until you run out of browsers. :wink:

People report lots of pretty crappy experiences on CA, but people tend to report bad experiences more than good ones, so hard to say statistically how bad it is. Some people do fine too. My last trip some people on the boat had used it but I forget what they said. At any rate I'm more crappy experience sensitive than price sensitive. Philippines Air does have really good sales sometimes, but not sure if the timing of their sales is predictable.

What’s the price difference for China Southern vs PH Air vs a flight with a Star Alliance or One World Carrier? Also, do you have status with an airline?

I'll check into the Star Alliance and One World Carrier. The price difference with JustFly and PH Air is about $350.00. So just enough to give me pause.

I'm not worried about the flight booking too much. More about the nail biter of getting my passport in hand. Probably 3 more weeks and 2 if I'm lucky. That's why I started a passport thread, because I never even thought about it for whatever reason. My bad. :wink:

What’s the price difference for China Southern vs PH Air vs a flight with a Star Alliance or One World Carrier? Also, do you have status with an airline?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom