Chest strap or not? And why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

depends on if I'm diving a DS (no) or WS (yes).... however, I do not dive with a Hogarthian harness on my BP/W... YMMV

My shoulder straps migrate outward without one. Definitely much more comfortable and secure for me with one. If I could get rid of it I would.

If you want a sternum strap then wear one. My wife prefers to have one, I'm fine without it.

When I went from BC a BP&W I wanted it all tight and bound to me like my jacket. As more and more time goes by I find that having a true waist strap and crotch strap adds so much stability that I run the shoulders looser and looser. I now use the adjustment more to configure for different suits that to strap in for a dive.

So if you want a sternum strap go for it. Some people's build and perhaps plate style does not lend it's self to a solid fit on the shoulders. We are all unique so do as you see fit. Just be open to the changes that may evolve.

Pete

Going out on a limb, but you currently are using the Elite 2 Harness, correct?

You will probably need the chest strap with the Elite 2 harness. With the padding and clips you may not be able to achieve what hog harness users have. With a hog harness (Hollis's Solo Harness) you're able to set it in such a way that the shoulder straps are pulled taunt by the weight of the backplate (we're not talking tight, just taunt), the crotch strap is tight enough to prevent ride up, and the waist strap keeps the plate against your back. All of this means the shoulder straps won't slide off unless you're trying. If you dive with your arms forward, then the straps definitely aren't coming off unless you want them to.

With padded harnesses and harnesses with clips such as the Elite 2, it's not so easy to set this way. That's why they added a chest strap. And that's why many other harnesses like it also have a chest strap.

Having said that, play around with it and you may find that you can make it work without it.

I used one to start with my BP/W, removed it and didn't notice any difference.
The shoulder straps seem to stay in place, so for me it is fine without it.

its all about fit and comfort. i dive with a group that discusses this topic quite regular. the divers that the gear fits on quite well, says no strap. the usually larger divers (muscular not fat) also like the chest strap...Smaller more slender divers or average size say they dont need or like the strap... Personally on my tech bc, i have a strap, on the travel bc no strap. I dont dive in cold water so no opinion on the dry suit and strap. hope that helps...

its all about fit and comfort. ...//...

Indeed.

...//... I dont dive in cold water so no opinion on the dry suit and strap. ...//...

I do, so my opinion is for dry suit only:

I couldn't find a BP that I really liked, so I had one custom made by Fred Tagge. Designed the shoulder straps to tilt 8 deg outward. This fits my shoulders nicely and routes the straps neatly over shoulders and under arms.

With my old BP, I found that tension on the chest strap makes the BP pivot on the tops of my shoulders. Had a 'loose' feel. With no tension in the chest strap, there is not much reason for having a chest strap. I much prefer the snug fit of no chest strap as it seems to lock the BP in the underarms, but only when the crotch strap is rather tight. Happy to lose the chest strap, gets in the way of my dry suit inflator.

-one more opinion for consideration...

Back
Top Bottom