Chest strap or not? And why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fpena06

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
When diving dry w/ backplate what is prefer chest strap or not? and why?

Thanks.

Fpena06,

Is this just a "question" for interest, or are you looking for opinions on your personal gear set up? If it's the later, what are you doing now? I'm asking the questions to help focus the answers you might get.

When diving dry w/ backplate what is prefer chest strap or not? and why?

Thanks.

None. Why would would you want one?

None. Why would would you want one?

I'm going on the assumption Fepena06 does not know, and hence is asking.

Nominally it's no chest strap, as I'm sure you'll hear from the purists with varying degrees of implied scolding.

Personally I don't need one - my BP fits just fine without one - so I keep it as simple as possible. However, I do know of a couple of folks that really do need one; their body type makes the shoulder straps flip back and impedes motion without it.

...try it without a chest strap at first; if it doesn't work well, find someone knowledgeable in fitting a BP/W. If you're forced into needing one, you'll know it.

All the best, James

PS: Usually the folks that tell you a BP/W never, never, ever needs a chest strap are the ones that don't need one themselves.

I'm looking for opinions on your personal gear set up. I dive dry with a hollis backplate/wing. I have a chest strap which is annoying.

I'm going on the assumption Fepena06 does not know, and hence is asking.

And I answered.

---------- Post Merged at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:31 PM ----------

I'm looking for opinions on your personal gear set up.. I have a chest strap which is annoying.

And here is the answer.

My old BC had a chest strap and I found that it got in the way of my dry suit inflator valve, so I didn't use the chest strap. I quickly realized that the chest strap was unnecessary anyway as the shoulder straps stayed in place without it.

When I switched to a BP/W, it didn't have a chest strap, and so obviously I don't use one.

I love my chest strap, it makes the wing way more comfortable.

It's friggin' heavy with all the lead and the backplate strapped in. With the strap, it feels better.

I love my chest strap, it makes the wing way more comfortable.

It's friggin' heavy with all the lead and the backplate strapped in. With the strap, it feels better.

And here is the anti-answer.

Back
Top Bottom