Diving with a Bad Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A nearby pool let me use the diving pool between the little old lady water aerobics and kids free for all herding cats sessions. They required that I be rescue diver.

When my wife and I wanted to do a check-out dive, we contacted a local dive shop.

They let us know when one of their open water classes was going to be using the pool, and if we rented our tanks from them, they would allow us to use the pool simultaneously.
That’s a great way to do it. I’ve got no LDS, only DDS about 3.5 hours away.

That’s a great way to do it. I’ve got no LDS, only DDS about 3.5 hours away.
Hey....... I thought Utah was full of LDS!!!!

Another thought for you might be various "contraptions" to help with getting back onboard the boat. I'm a old push'n 70 fart with a not so young back and here in the Pac NW, diving drysuit, my rig with a 120HP steel, a 19cf Pony and an extra 26lbs of lead makes it tougher each year to get up that flipp'n ladder......

So..... I have a custom strap on my tank valve and after a dive I just fully inflate my rig , detach my drysuit hose and climb out then clip a boltsnap that's on the end of my crab / shrimp pot puller line.

Then all I need to haul up the ladder is my own fat ass without all that extra weight. Once onboard, I use the pot puller to bring my rig onboard.... (see red circle).

qkdiiri.jpg

Another thought for you might be various "contraptions" to help with getting back onboard the boat. I'm a old push'n 70 fart with a not so young back and here in the Pac NW, diving drysuit, my rig with a 120HP steel, a 19cf Pony and an extra 26lbs of lead makes it tougher each year to get up that flipp'n ladder......

So..... I have a custom strap on my tank valve and after a dive I just fully inflate my rig , detach my drysuit hose and climb out then clip a boltsnap that's on the end of my crab / shrimp pot puller line.

Then all I need to haul up the ladder is my own fat ass without all that extra weight. Once onboard, I use the pot puller to bring my rig onboard.... (see red circle).

qkdiiri.jpg
@NW Dive Dawg Sir, I love the way you think. I so want to dive with you some day. And LOL at the LDS inference.

@NW Dive Dawg Sir, I love the way you think. I so want to dive with you some day. And LOL at the LDS inference.
Hey.....life is short. A good buddy and I are hitting Little Cayman (LCBR) from April 24 thru May 3. Right now, United has some unbelievable deals to the Caribbean. If you are devout LDS.....then the drinks at LCBR are on me! If you are not LDS, then we may need to negotiate! Cheers!

PS..... All of my family are LDS living in Boise, ID, They call me "Uncle Jack" .....but they still love me! :)

qkdiiri.jpg
Darn - I feel like such a not too far from 70 wimp doing shore dives here with a 19 cf pony, 26 lbs. of lead, and only an HP 119 - I clearly need to up my game a bit! I keep hoping for a Nobel Prize in Physics once I figure out why gravity gets turned up higher on the way out than the way in...

In terms of epidural steroids, the evidence suggests, on average, modestly improved pain for the first 3 mos., and no difference by 1 year, so at best a chance of temporary help, if you are willing to endure the procedure and its small risks (assuming they're not using compounded steroids - but the Framingham pharmacy got shut down). If you're gradually improving with conservative therapy, may not be worth trying.

And I totally agree with the advice that, if you are going to try something, you do it first in a safe, controlled environment, plus minimize lifting/twisting with serious weight on. And a with buddy you trust, with good rescue skills. But if you've got a herniated disk, giving your body time to resorb it rather than risking making it worse by overstraining a weakened area and herniating more (which could lead to sudden loss of leg function, back spasms, etc.) is probably wise.

Doobie doobie do (in my best Sinatra voice)...no, I'm not quite there yet. But I wouldn't disallow it.
Try looking at some of the CBD Balm. I've used NuLeaf naturals with great relief. Also, It comes with a GCMS printout to show the levels of chemicals and THC (very low) in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom