Checking Mesh Gear Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kf6alc

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Flying to Belize next week on TACA, and wondering if it's safe to check as luggage a mesh dive bag. It's a wheeled backpack style bag, so BC, fins, etc can be visible. Anyone ever had trouble with this kind of set up, or should I put it all in a regular suitcase?

Also, should I carry on my reg? I am worried that it may be more hassle dealing with security checkpoints having it with me.

Thanks for your replies!

In my humble opinion, you really need something more durable to protect your checked dive equipment than a mesh bag. They are on a tight schedule some times, so it is throw, stow, and go.

I carried my reg in my Columbia backpack to Grand Cayman. I like the backpack because it leaves my hands free.

I take a mesh backpack dive bag along on trips. It takes up little space in my suitcase, but all my gear fits in it. Again, I like the backpack so my hands are free.

I wouldn't show off all my gear. That is just toooo tempting. Mine goes in a non-descript black bag.

I "carry on" my regulator, dive computer, a change of clothes, laptop and whatever camera set up I am using. My 1st trip overseas trip was in Nov of 2001 and I have never had any trouble with carrying on my regulator.

thanks for the fast replies!

I might add, it is a pretty heavy duty bag (XSscuba), and it is a bit large to pack in another suitcase.

Have to think about this some...

kf6alc:
Flying to Belize next week on TACA, and wondering if it's safe to check as luggage a mesh dive bag. It's a wheeled backpack style bag, so BC, fins, etc can be visible. Anyone ever had trouble with this kind of set up, or should I put it all in a regular suitcase?

Also, should I carry on my reg? I am worried that it may be more hassle dealing with security checkpoints having it with me.

Thanks for your replies!

I have flown Taca several times. (in fact I am waiting for a taca flight right now in the San Peidro airport) Several recomendations:

1) Your bag should be be a bit more robust than mesh. They arn't always gentle with bags
2) Everything you absolutly need to dive should be carried with you. For me this means that I take my dive skin, regs, mask, dive computer and swim trunks with me on carry on. That way if luggage is lost, you can rent everything else.
3) Taca's turbo prop planes are a white knuckled fun ride. During take off on my recent ride, I looked out on the wing to see one screw halfway out and the second right next to it missing. :D
4) For Beleize - Don't go past the bridges at night. Its dangerous.

Where are you staying?

You have time to grab another suitcase..... I would recommend NOT using the mesh bag that has SUCBA GEAR written all over it.

Got to Walmart and get a fairly inexpensive large suitcase for under $50 and put your mesh bag inside. You'll be happier you did.

Unless there is something in your bag that requires a hard-sided suitcase, you may have better luck with a military seabag. They are made of heavy canvas, olive drab, and your mesh bag should slide down inside it without issues. Seabags may be padlocked, and if someone is looking to steal items of scuba gear they're about the last bag they'd pick. (On the other hand, you may get some cold stares at that 5-star resort you're staying at... :wink: ) Still...I've a friend who flies frequently on scuba trips. She's lost tools, spare parts, saveadive kits, and all sorts of small items from her checked luggage nearly every trip - so the problem definitely exists. If you absolutely need it, such as a prescription mask or a computer, IMHO the best rule of thumb is carry it on.

FWIW...

why check the gear when you can just wear it on the plane theres no law against it... you might get alot of funny looks though.. i carried everyting but my bcd in my bag (and fins)

The minute your luggage says “dive gear inside” is the minute the chances of it being stolen increases about 10 fold.

How many diamond salesman have you seen on flights? :wink:

Make yourself look more like a bum than a diver.

Gary D.

I wouldn't do it. 2 reasons:
1. It shows what you've got inside to the baggage handlers or airline/airport staff. If you have to use this bag, wrap the contents in an opaque trash bag.
2. The mesh may "catch" something (such as a hook, clip and anything that protrudes). It may end up getting lost or damaged.
I'd use a non-see through bag, and if checking in BCD, reg or computer, and wrap them in thick wetsuit or towel to reduce baggage-handling impacts.
I usually hand carry my BCD, mask, computer and reg. In my experience, screeners at most major airports do recognize divegear, so it hasn't been a problem for me. To be safe, tell the screener beforehand you have divegear and you may get away without getting a thorough search at the security checkpoint.
Dive safely.

Back
Top Bottom