Cheapest place to buy a Petrel II online??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a Petrel 2 just for the compass as I already had a 1. I've only done two dives with it but so far am not loving the compass. I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable position to hold it in direction of travel. Maybe my eyes are too bad or my arms too short. Any advice would be appreciated. At this point I'm suffering a little buyers remorse, it cost me $500 for the compass feature. I know, I know a fool and his money...Cheers.

Buddha, I don't have a Petrel so I'm trying to understand the issue. With a standard wrist computer or a mechanical compass, we bring our arm in to read the compass. Is it not the same with a petrel? Is it because of the size? Perhaps a pic will help?

I don't wear my compass on my wrist as I find it awkward to use, I wear it atop my right hand so when in trim and linking hands in the parachute position the lubber line is pointing in the right direction without requiring any changes to swimming position. The Petrel on my wrist is not pointing in direction of travel and requires contortion I'm unable to do in order to have it pointing in the right direction. I can do it but its difficult, feels very awkward and is uncomfortable to me. Analogue or digital, for me, wearing atop right hand is the best option (I use no slate).

image.jpg

I have are no idea why the photo why the photo us upside down. Not the best picture but hopefully you'll get the idea.

I don't wear my compass on my wrist as I find it awkward to use, I wear it atop my right hand so when in trim and linking hands in the parachute position the lubber line is pointing in the right direction without requiring any changes to swimming position. The Petrel on my wrist is not pointing in direction of travel and requires contortion I'm unable to do in order to have it pointing in the right direction. I can do it but its difficult, feels very awkward and is uncomfortable to me. Analogue or digital, for me, wearing atop right hand is the best option (I use no slate).

View attachment 217544

I have are no idea why the photo why the photo us upside down. Not the best picture but hopefully you'll get the idea.

I understand now. Agree with you. I hope The makers implement the proposed change.

Any reason you can't bungie your petrel and move it on to your hand when needed? I do that w/ my analog compass

Any reason you can't bungie your petrel and move it on to your hand when needed? I do that w/ my analog compass

I could but my local site often has such bad viz I rely on the compass fairly frequently, there is a risk of dropping it while switching, that would make me cry. To date the "solution" I'm going with is to simply subtract or add degrees to compensate for wrist position. It's a work around but at least zero risk of dropping, in local conditions I might not be able to find it.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2015 at 07:00 AM ----------

Maybe if enough of us start whining...

I've sent SW an email re your suggestion.

Thanks!

Maybe move this part of the discussion to a new thread in Shearwater. It should be discussed, there are always unintended consequences.

I hinted at this before (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sh...ading-suggestion-post7492489.html#post7492489) but maybe it needs a thread of its own, go for it...

BTW, I don't care about who gets credit. However, you do get full marks for "Good Form", sir. :D

Back
Top Bottom