Cheapest place to buy a Petrel II online??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys. I am probably about to make a really stupid suggestion but I know the Petrel 2 compass has a "declination" adjustment for true North. Is there some way that Buddha can use this to set his compass to automatically compensate for the arm position? Of course if this is even possible it would mean his compass would always be off by that amount.

Yes, damn clever of you!

True North can be moved plus/minus 90 degrees. It would work.

Problem is that it affects useability of the compass. You don't know how it is set. Years and years ago when Microsoft had it right, they gave their programmers a standard user interface guide. The prime directive was never surprise your user. Do it once and you break the trust.

The Petrel 2 is insanely well programmed, I would hate to break that trust with a compass that doesn't point North.

I'll play with it and report back.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2015 at 11:03 AM ----------

In typical SW customer service they replied within hours of my email, guess we'll have to wait and see. I'll still follow up on their forum just to give the idea a wider audience.

Hi Simon,
Thank you for your suggestions. I am forwarding your request to our engineering department for future consideration.
Regards,

---------- Post added October 6th, 2015 at 11:04 AM ----------

If they ever decide to make one, lowviz yours is on me.

... If they ever decide to make one, lowviz yours is on me.
Ha!

Just saw this. Buy me a beer and we'll call it even. Thanks, Man! :D

Yes, would be nice if they did this. It is much more than just a compass thing. It is foremost a "be able to comfortably read my computer" thing. I can adjust my arm position plus or minus 5 degrees of arc without any discomfort. For me, a 10 degree click-stop would be ideal.

Let's see, a wide radius round Delrin post that connects to the DC with pins through the existing slots, V-slot cutter for the post, 36 detents with a ball end mill, one or more spring loaded balls, enough loctited nylon tipped set-screws to secure the DC to the curved baseplate that fits the arm, two drain holes for rinsing the bearing race...

Last edited:
I think buying you the mount would be cheaper than shipping a beer to the US, but hey if it happens it's worth both to me :D

I totally agree with your post. I feel the same.

Like a dog with a bone I'll regularly contact SW to see if any developments have been made just so they don't forget, they'll probably end up blocking me lol.

Back
Top Bottom