Cheapest place to buy a Petrel II online??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using my analogue compass atop my right hand which in my opinion is the best place for it to be, it's always pointing in the right direction and requires no adjustment in swimming position or limb position.
PS The small compass, unfortunately, is of zero use to me, I simply cannot see it. I removed it from central display.

To bad the small compass doesn't work for you. I use this most of the time when diving without students. I keep my analogue on a lanyard reel and pull it out once every few minutes to check the direction. With the petrel I just bring my right arm arm 90 degrees and take a quick sight. Of course I I have a general idea of where I am heading and I don't have to be right on a specific course. West +-10 degrees will take me out and the reciprocal +- brings me back :)

I also had a petrel 1 and got a II. I still have my 1. Can't seem to let go of it yet :facepalm:

... At this point I'm suffering a little buyers remorse, it cost me $500 for the compass feature. ..

it sounds like you got an amazing deal on the petrel 1 though. for most people, the extra cost for the compass is not nearly as steep as even getting a used petrel 1 still costs quite a bit. seems 500 is about as low as the used petrels usually go for.

it sounds like you got an amazing deal on the petrel 1 though. for most people, the extra cost for the compass is not nearly as steep as even getting a used petrel 1 still costs quite a bit. seems 500 is about as low as the used petrels usually go for.

Sorry, the computer didn't cost $500 it cost me around $800. The cost of the Petrel 1 minus what I sold it for and put toward the 2 left me finding about $500, so to have a compass cost me $500. Does that make sense?

---------- Post added October 1st, 2015 at 09:36 PM ----------

I got $420 for my Petrel 1 but ended up with less after PayPal deducted fees both ends.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2015 at 09:54 PM ----------

To bad the small compass doesn't work for you. I use this most of the time when diving without students. I keep my analogue on a lanyard reel and pull it out once every few minutes to check the direction. With the petrel I just bring my right arm arm 90 degrees and take a quick sight. Of course I I have a general idea of where I am heading and I don't have to be right on a specific course. West +-10 degrees will take me out and the reciprocal +- brings me back :)

I also had a petrel 1 and got a II. I still have my 1. Can't seem to let go of it yet :facepalm:

unfortunately my local site requires more specific headings.

Budda my birthday is at the end of the month and I need a gift idea for my wife I'd give ya enough to get you back in a petrel 1

I just bought a Petrel 2 just for the compass as I already had a 1. I've only done two dives with it but so far am not loving the compass. I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable position to hold it in direction of travel. Maybe my eyes are too bad or my arms too short. Any advice would be appreciated. At this point I'm suffering a little buyers remorse, it cost me $500 for the compass feature. I know, I know a fool and his money...Cheers.

We did the same and recently upgraded for the compass as our analogue compasses finally died. I would rather have my compass (analogue or digital) further out. With the DSS mount one can orient the compass as they like. A bit harder with the digital compass. A cool feature would be if one could have the compass in landscape (current) or portrait mode. For now I just stick my arm straight out and subtract 90 degrees to my headings.

We did the same and recently upgraded for the compass as our analogue compasses finally died. I would rather have my compass (analogue or digital) further out. With the DSS mount one can orient the compass as they like. A bit harder with the digital compass. A cool feature would be if one could have the compass in landscape (current) or portrait mode. For now I just stick my arm straight out and subtract 90 degrees to my headings.

Totally agree, I have 6 dives with the digital compass and now have settled on doing some basic math adjusting for orientation, it works but I'd love someone to make a colour compass that can be worn a top right hand in a DSS mount. I did ask SW, dreaming, if they would ever consider this but they replied "no plans".

... I'd love someone to make a colour compass that can be worn a top right hand ...
First, I absolutely love the little binky compass on the first screen. That is all I need to keep me heading pretty much in the right direction. I truly don't need anything more for "just diving". It gets me out and back.

As an aside, I'd love to see Shearwater offer a low profile click-stop rotating mount for said computer. You could keep your arms in parked position and rotate the DC to 90 degrees with respect to your line of travel. That would be nice.

Navigation is best done with a slate mounted compass. Period. Hold it with both hands, Superman position. It will keep you on course while you obsess on finning and counting. But then there is current...

Now that's a good idea. The mount I mean.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2015 at 11:48 PM ----------

I'm going to chat to SW about your idea and see what they say. Cheers.

PS I will of course give you credit as it's your idea.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom