Shearwater petrel 2 vs Aqualung i300c

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Heya everyone.

After a few pointers, I have been diving for a while but only recently (last 12 months) invested in my own person DC, always hired from my club.
I got a Aqualung i300c at a cracking deal off Ebay and it's been brilliant, from what I have read it does pretty much everything a Shearwater peregrine does and so I have been content and not seen a reason to change.
However I have just been offered a Petrel 2 at a good price from someone I trust (head of LDC and taught me everything I know)

I guess my question is, is it worth the upgrade?

Ultimately I would like to go into tech diving and trimix in the future.

All pointers and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The Shearwater has a nicer display, runs standard Buhlmann GF, and will never lock you out, so yes, I'd say it's worth the upgrade.

I have the Aqualung i450 and the Shearwater, so I can make a decent comparison. The Shearwater has a better display, more intuitive interface, and bigger user support base. However, if all you're doing is rec diving, the Aqualung is perfectly good. The Aqualung is also nice in that you can wear it as a watch between dives, and it has a good freedive mode.

Once you get into tech, the Aqualung will no longer be adequate, and you'll need a Shearwater or equivalent.

So I'd say it comes down to how much of a financial pinch you will feel with a new computer and how serious you are about diving and moving into tech. If money isn't an issue and you want the best, definitely go with the Shearwater. If you're obsessed with diving or want to start migrating to a tech setup, get the Shearwater. If you're a vacation diver with Tech just a gleam in the eye, the Shearwater might be overkill.

I prefer the larger form factor of the Petrel and also the AMOLED display which is very easy to read in any lighting conditions.

Given your needs are currently being met, "worth it" depends on the cost and whether you think another deal will come along before you start the tech route. Ignoring cost, I'd rather have the Perdix2 or a Teric over the Petrel.

Thanks for the help. I am doing my OWI later this year when the course is available via work, then Advanced diver is the plan, so all going well I'll be heading down the tech route next year.

I prefer the larger form factor of the Petrel and also the AMOLED display which is very easy to read in any lighting conditions.
Op is talking about a Petral 2 which does NOT have an AMOLED display!

One is talking about a Petral 2 which does NOT have an AMOLED display!
Thanks for the correction: Color LED LCD.

Back
Top Bottom