Cheapest place to buy a Petrel II online??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the price of many cars, a person can buy a home. Yet people still buy these cars.

It's awesome....that's why! :D

Yes, $800 is affordable for many divers. It does look like it would be a very useful tool for divers looking to do planned deco. But for a recreational diver who never plans on see a deco screen except in simulations, it looks like so much bling.

For example, I am strictly a recreational diver. I have never planned or done a dive that put me in mandatory deco. I only dive single tanks and occasionally carry a bailout bottle. What would a Petrel do for me that my Oceanic Data Plus won't do besides take an extra $700 out of my diving budget?

$800 for a computer!!!:shakehead:

I believe I can get a full set of scuba gear for that price. Why???:confused:
That's why I make my own harness and, attemp, to service my own gear. That way I can buy that 800 dollar dive computer that I can't DIY!

That's why I make my own harness and, attemp, to service my own gear. That way I can buy that 800 dollar dive computer that I can't DIY!

What do you do with that computer that you could not have done with a much less expensive model? Are you doing planned deco dives?

Yes, $800 is affordable for many divers. It does look like it would be a very useful tool for divers looking to do planned deco. But for a recreational diver who never plans on see a deco screen except in simulations, it looks like so much bling.

For example, I am strictly a recreational diver. I have never planned or done a dive that put me in mandatory deco. I only dive single tanks and occasionally carry a bailout bottle. What would a Petrel do for me that my Oceanic Data Plus won't do besides take an extra $700 out of my diving budget?

It would make you cooler and ladies would be swooning over you

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

What do you do with that computer that you could not have done with a much less expensive model? Are you doing planned deco dives?
My first computer was a Veo 180 no bells, whistles or even alarms. Kept it for years. Then a Giotto for the 2 gas option and added saftety with the RBGM algorthmn.

So why the Petrel? Saw it and bought it at the start of cave. Why do I love it? Easy to use, easy to see, highly programable, easily replaced battery and love the compass. And yes, I set the conservatism high and do some lite deco. Will probably do more as I advance in cave.

But even without cave I would love this computer. The screen and the compass alone are woth it to me.

I just bought a Petrel 2 just for the compass as I already had a 1. I've only done two dives with it but so far am not loving the compass. I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable position to hold it in direction of travel. Maybe my eyes are too bad or my arms too short. Any advice would be appreciated. At this point I'm suffering a little buyers remorse, it cost me $500 for the compass feature. I know, I know a fool and his money...Cheers.

if your data plus works, nothing. If you're buying a new comparable computer, that's the Veo 2.0 at $370. With the current exchange rate, the Petrel gets you the following
Digital Compass-if you have to purchase a separate compass, minimum $40
Provides easy data logging- Petrel can upload via bluetooth to your phone or computer to provide full dive logs. The Veo can, but it's a $90 accessory
Nitrox switching-doing a 2 tank dive on a boat, but have different mixes? Petrel has 3 button presses to switch to the new gas, the Veo you have to reprogram between dives for the new gas.
Want full control over your decompression because you're older, at higher risk of DCS, not feeling well that day, etc. You can program the GF's into the Petrel to make your diving more conservative and KNOW what theoretical tissue saturation you are coming up with.

"real price" of the Veo 2.0 is $370+$40+$90=$500. Do you pay an extra $200-$250 for a much nicer screen, more functionality, better resale, use of AA's, for the last computer you'll ever need, from a company that is known for providing over and beyond customer service? You tell me.

For the compass, it is likely easier to remove from your wrist, but that is my main issue with forearm compasses in general. It should be no different than any other wrist compass, but that's why I use a slate when I have to do anything more than check general bearings.

I just bought a Petrel 2 just for the compass as I already had a 1. I've only done two dives with it but so far am not loving the compass. I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable position to hold it in direction of travel. Maybe my eyes are too bad or my arms too short. Any advice would be appreciated. At this point I'm suffering a little buyers remorse, it cost me $500 for the compass feature. I know, I know a fool and his money...Cheers.
Buddha. I am so sorry to hear this, especially since my recommendation may have helped lead to your purchase. I do think if you decide its not for you that you will get a good resale value.

Most of my navigation relies on just knowing North. I guess this is why I love the new mini compass so much. I don't even have to move my wrist or leave the main screen. I just glance down and I have North glowing in red no matter what position my wrist is in. With North noted, I make my direction adjustment and continue.

Buddha. I am so sorry to hear this, especially since my recommendation may have helped lead to your purchase. I do think if you decide its not for you that you will get a good resale value.

Most of my navigation relies on just knowing North. I guess this is why I love the new mini compass so much. I don't even have to move my wrist or leave the main screen. I just glance down and I have North glowing in red no matter what position my wrist is in. With North noted, I make my direction adjustment and continue.

No problem, it didn't take much justification for me to buy a new toy. I sold my Petrel 1 to part fund the Petrel 2 so I'll be keeping regardless of whether the compass and I make friends.

I've been using my analogue compass atop my right hand which in my opinion is the best place for it to be, it's always pointing in the right direction and requires no adjustment in swimming position or limb position. On the upside both previous dives were in shocking conditions with low light and although I couldn't see my SK7 I could easily read the Petrel compass I just didn't like that I had to contort in order to have it pointing in direction of travel.

I don't like change much so this may be part of the problem. I was thinking of just adding or subtracting degrees to account for wrist position, seems to be around 25-30 degrees out. I'll stick with it and am sure/hope I can find an acceptable work around. Please don't feel bad, totally my decision to purchase. All good. Cheers.

PS The small compass, unfortunately, is of zero use to me, I simply cannot see it. I removed it from central display.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2015 at 08:44 AM ----------

Removing it from my wrist is an option but am worried one day that will result in my losing it to the deep. I'll give it some more thought. Thanks.

I bought a Petrel II maybe six months ago, not because of the compass but because it's the currently available model. I couldn't care less about the compass--I prefer the mechanical-needle type like those I have been using since Boy Scout days. Nor is Bluetooth of interest to me. What attracted me to the Petrel was that the screen is easy to read and the user interface intuitive and easy to use. The screen is big, bright, colorful, and displays the information I need in big, bright numerals and displays no garbage--nothing that is distracting. Some aspects of what is displayed are even user configurable. The industrial design reminds me more of lab instruments I have used than consumer electronics, and that gives me faith in its engineering. The thing is built like a tank, with a chunky housing apparently machined from a solid block of delrin, with a thick faceplate. The documentation is well written. Shearwater participates on SB and seems willing to answer questions in a refreshingly straightforward manner. And from what I have heard, their customer service is second to none. To me, all that is worth $800.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom