Cheapest place to buy a Petrel II online??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no reason to ship thru brokerage, because the computer is made in Vancouver..... We are experiencing great prices on the Petrel right now because the exchange rates are in our favor, but Shearwater keeps a pretty tight price on them because their markup isn't as high as most dive gear so the shops don't have a ton of wiggle room.

I'd call Dan's Dive Shop in Toronto. You're in Canada, they're in Canada, and Shearwater is in Canada so you should save a bit of money by not going to the US then back.

Canada has a VAT tax which the U.S. doesn't. So dive gear is generally cheaper in the U.S. I have met many Canadians (and Europeans) that purchase in the U.S. because it is cheaper. This is especially true when the dollar is weak. However, in this case you are right at $950 Canadian that is around $710 U.S. so Dan's is cheaper. Plus free shipping.

we are technically supposed to pay a use tax, but it isn't enforced.

Call Matt, see if $950 cad is the best price *Which is the same price the Petrel has been since it was released, most of us were screwed when we bought initially because of the exchange rate*, and if he can cut you a deal on that, it'll be cheaper than anything here once you factor in shipping and what not.

Do you need other gear as well? Although authorized dealers generally won't sell below the standard price, they sometimes will give you a discount on a customized "package deal."

we are technically supposed to pay a use tax, but it isn't enforced.

The use tax is the flip-side of the sales tax. If you purchase something in state then you pay a sales tax. For example a Florida resident purchasing a Petrel from Cave Adventurers. If you purchase something out of state then you are supposed to pay a use tax. For example a Florida resident purchasing a Petrel from DRIS in Illinois. The use tax is enforced for businesses but not for individuals because there is no economical way to enforce it. One state did try to intercept packages from out of state vendors but gave it up because of complaints. A VAT tax is a bit different and has a much higher rate around 12 to 15%.

The use tax is the flip-side of the sales tax. If you purchase something in state then you pay a sales tax.

Or move to Delaware. No sales tax.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

$800 for a computer!!!:shakehead:

I believe I can get a full set of scuba gear for that price. Why???:confused:

$800 for a computer!!!:shakehead:

I believe I can get a full set of scuba gear for that price. Why???:confused:

For the price of many cars, a person can buy a home. Yet people still buy these cars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom