certification limits and how they are considered now days....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question was about certification limits. The limits an operator or country might apply can be quite different. Some foreign countries/operators are MORE restrictive than the US, not less. For example, diving from the Buddy Dive boats in Bonaire, the depth limit is 100 ft, regardless of your certification. That limit is relaxed if you are teaching Deep, or if it is a technical dive.

Yes and most agencies say that x cert has y limit.

A persons biggest concern with depth, [ other than yourself } is insurance, your only insured to your certified depth. I am Padi and I believe a OWD is good to 60Ft. AOWD is good to 100 Ft, Not sure about this but as a certified deep dive I could be good to 130Ft. Please, correct me if I am wrong...

Even PADI on their own blog write that an OW certified diver is not limited to 18m and can dive deeper.
The limits you mention only apply to a student on a training dive with an instructor.
Recreational limits are recommended to be 40m / 130 ft. That applies to an OW certified diver. Now divers should take training and and dives with more experienced divers and gradually go deeper.

del

As ever, just because you are certified to any limit doesn't mean you should dive to that limit.

Divers with a mature attitude will always build up to their limits and only go to those limits when the dive plan calls for that.

As ever, just because you are certified to any limit doesn't mean you should dive to that limit.

Divers with a mature attitude will always build up to their limits and only go to those limits when the dive plan calls for that.
For example I am certified to >210 feet on air but I certainly wouldn't do it.

Diving in any body of water deeper than your knees is extremely dangerous and you will die at some point.

Diving under water is not natural for humans and has very dangerous effects on humans' physiology. You don't see fish walking on land breathing air, you shouldn't be diving underwater out of your environment.

What about insurance for the operation that let's OW divers dive to 130. If something happens that puts that operator in trouble for violating common safe industry pratices.. hence why in the US dive boats want to see deep, AOW etc fir deep sites but some foreign countries could care less.

It depends on the boat, although I got the cards, I have yet to be asked for anything other than an OW, regardless of the depth of the dives. However, I'm old, and can get grumpy, so perhaps they were just avoiding a confrontation.

Yes and most agencies say that x cert has y limit.

I know that's done in the tech world, but I haven't seen it in recreational world, where the recreational limit rules. Recommendations for an appropriate depth immediately after a certification are given, and may be improperly taught as a rule, but they are only recommendations.

It depends on the boat, although I got the cards, I have yet to be asked for anything other than an OW, regardless of the depth of the dives. However, I'm old, and can get grumpy, so perhaps they were just avoiding a confrontation.

I know that's done in the tech world, but I haven't seen it in recreational world, where the recreational limit rules. Recommendations for an appropriate depth immediately after a certification are given, and may be improperly taught as a rule, but they are only recommendations.

For example look at PADI. AOW says depths up to 100. So it's not a rule but it's common excepted pratice which could matter in court. That's the key. As an alonogy the speed limit is 65 posted it's snowing and your going 65 and hit some one. Saying the speed limit is 65 doesn't help since because of weather you should be going slower.

As an alonogy the speed limit is 65 posted it's snowing and your going 65 and hit some one. Saying the speed limit is 65 doesn't help since because of weather you should be going slower.

The analogy, if you want one, is to tell a new driver they can only drive 25mph, until they get their next cert.

Back
Top Bottom