Certification card dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eyegore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ahoy. I have a YMCA cert & card from the early 80s. I suspect that were I to lose the card it would be impossible to get a replacement. I'm not keen on paying PADI, or any other certification agency for that matter, a load of cash, waste my time, etc., and re-certify just to get a card should I lose the one I now have. Any ideas on getting a card from another agency without duplicative course work and associated $$$?

Ahoy. I have a YMCA cert & card from the early 80s. I suspect that were I to lose the card it would be impossible to get a replacement. I'm not keen on paying PADI, or any other certification agency for that matter, a load of cash, waste my time, etc., and re-certify just to get a card should I lose the one I now have. Any ideas on getting a card from another agency without duplicative course work and associated $$$?
Take a advance ow class with agency of choice

Thank you, that had occurred to me but doing so would amount to duplicative course-work and expense, both of which I want to avoid.
I'm not clear on why getting an Advanced cert would duplicate course work you've already done.

Thank you, that had occurred to me but doing so would amount to duplicative course-work and expense, both of which I want to avoid.

...then do a Nitrox course with any agency. Easier and quicker than AOW.

My first certification was YMCA over 30 years ago. Since then I've gotten an SDI Solo certification, a PADI Nitrox Certification, and SSI AOW certification.

Your YMCA certification might not be sufficient to dive with dive Ops in certain areas especially the deeper wrecks within recreational limits in the Florida Keys.

Back
Top Bottom