Question NASDS - What the frack??? SSI [NASDS] will not issue a replacement card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Friend from years back certified through NASDS back in 1976. He wants to get back into diving. I told him to find his old card and take a requalification/update class. OK so far.

He found it and it's an NASDS card. Very good condition original embossed plastic card. Cool. NASDS and SSI merged under the SSI banner. At one point in time, SSI seems to have been issuing replacement for NASDS cards and certs. I found a 2010 replacement form online on how to replace the NASDS card from SSI.

Great. I send him a few links and advise he might want to get a new cert card so as to not risk losing the original plastic card (I'd keep it in the safe, but I digress...) or if the young DM in Raging Armipit or wherever he's going to doesn't recognize NASDS.

Then I go to the blasted SSI site to point him there for an updated form and they kinda flip the bird and say essentially, "eff you".

1684198751352.png

SSI does not issue replaments for NASDS [SSI] cdrtifications? What gives with that?

He can prove he had a cert issued by the agency that SSI took on as part of themselves: the original, emossed plastic card.

Really? Or did I lose the ability to read plain English?

WHISKEY. TANGO. FOXTROT.

Go to a PADI school and bang out 5 dives and get a new PADI AOW card (or Naui, or RAID or SDI or etc. ???)

Take a picture of the NASDS card on your phone. Any operator who doesn't accept it doesn't deserve the business.

The original card is valid, surprised his original still exists, mine turned to dust by ‘75.

he may want to just go for a new cert with an agency that still exists. SSI had a window where they would issue a card for anyone with proof of NASDS cert but that window closed about 10+ years ago. Most NASDS records burned up in a fire.

So ssi will recognize that card and they can give you a digital card of it. The reason they won't give you a new ssi card is because you haven't done an ssi course, simple as that. But you can get the NASDS card online in the ssi app.

What you should do is email your local ssi rep with a picture front and back of the cert card and have a myssi account setup then they can add that card to your profile.

ssi stopped issuing cards for nasds divers a long time ago.
if you really think he needs a new card then try to follow the advise above. otherwise, just continue to use the nasds card.
maybe take a specialty with some shop (like nitrox for example) then you could use that new card.

That line you highlighted is intended for people who no longer have their NASDS card. I don't think they planned for people who still have their physical card wanting another identical, (just newer looking with a photo of an older person on it), physical card. Why would you? Snapping a photo of it with your phone eliminates the issue of potentially losing the original. Having a c-card is not the requirement to dive/rent/get air fills etc. Being certified is. He should call SSI and explain he still has the original card and just wants a duplicate and he may get a different response.

Or, similar to the post above about SDI, provided he did 4 open water dives during is open water course, he can take a PADI ReActivate course. It only requires a short online course and one *confined* water dive with and PADI instructor. PADI no longer requires ReActivate students to be previously PADI certified:
  • Prerequisites:
    PADI (Junior) Scuba Diver certification or proof of entry-level diver certification from another training organization with four open water dives
(...which is weird because "PADI Scuba diver" [Jr. or adult] only requires 2 open water dives to complete, while "Open Water Scuba Diver is 4. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Once you complete the ReActivate program you will forever be in PADI's searchable online database.

Friend from years back certified through NASDS back in 1976. He wants to get back into diving. I told him to find his old card and take a requalification/update class. OK so far.

He found it and it's an NASDS card. Very good condition original embossed plastic card. Cool. NASDS and SSI merged under the SSI banner. At one point in time, SSI seems to have been issuing replacement for NASDS cards and certs. I found a 2010 replacement form online on how to replace the NASDS card from SSI.

Great. I send him a few links and advise he might want to get a new cert card so as to not risk losing the original plastic card (I'd keep it in the safe, but I digress...) or if the young DM in Raging Armipit or wherever he's going to doesn't recognize NASDS.

Then I go to the blasted SSI site to point him there for an updated form and they kinda flip the bird and say essentially, "eff you".

SSI does not issue replaments for NASDS [SSI] cdrtifications? What gives with that?

He can prove he had a cert issued by the agency that SSI took on as part of themselves: the original, emossed plastic card.

Really? Or did I lose the ability to read plain English?

WHISKEY. TANGO. FOXTROT.

Go to a PADI school and bang out 5 dives and get a new PADI AOW card (or Naui, or RAID or SDI or etc. ???)
I would do a
refresher and get upgraded

I talked to SSI about doing this a year or so ago. Then, basically, I was told that it could be done, but I needed an SSI instructor to "sponsor" me. They implied that an instructor had the authority to look over my NASDS credentials, check out my current skills with some in-water work, perform needed remedial work, and then request an SSI card. But, SSI said that the organization would not just swap out my old NASDS card for a new SSI card.

As for a refresher idea, that may or may not work. A LOT has changed in diving since my 1981 NASDS training and I had a big gap in diving. I talked to a couple of shops/instructors and none of them thought a refresher would work for me--too much has changed. They advised a full OW/AOW training regimen and that was good advice. I did that and am glad that I did it all again.

I never pursued the SSI creds and still pack my old NASDS card (along with my newer PADI card). When an air station or venue asks me for my credentials, I often provide my NASDS card just to see how they react. I've yet to have one reject it, but I have my PADI card ready just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom