MODS: The Tale of a DUI Knockoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You paint quite the pretty picture of everyone and everything involved in this transaction being wrong/against you without accepting much accountability for most of your plight. You ignored warning signs, seemingly rushed to get your suit in time for a trip (very poor planning), etc. etc. etc.....Folk like you who post your self-inflicted troubles as stories on discussion forums certainly add to life's entertainment factor.

-Z

Ok where to start?
First off I have never heard of mods and only because of this post have I looked at the website.

I definitely see some flaws in MODs busness model as not selling through a dealer is a resupie for disaster.

As a DUI dealer we are responsible for taking accurate measurements and we are trained in person by our DUI rep on how to measure and do a proper fitting when the suit arrives.

If you have a dui suit that dosnt fit properly DUI will remake it 100% of the time if your DUI doesn't fit it because your dealer isn't making the effort to get it right.

That said the dealer needs to be able to make a few bucks as time costs money
That's part of why a DUI costs so much and takes 6 or 8 weeks to build.

I concider DUI to be the devil you know . Maybe thay aren't perfect every time but once the bugs are worked out you have an excellent preforming suit that will last decades.

Now again I don't know anything about mods but I do know a few things about running a business and running a start up.

It appears to me that Mods have verry little staff and most manufacturers will tell you that finding help that will actually show up is nearly impossible.
Mods likely has limited financial resources as getting things off the ground Ties up a tremendous amount of capital.

Now on to Ms. OP
No one cares that your boyfriend is in the special forces, like why even work that in? It dosen't give you any additional credibility.
Attacking someone because they do not have the best English is also not helpful and bordering on racism. What efforts have you made to improve your Korean vocabulary so you could more effectively communicate with the staff at mods?

When you say they " don't pay there bills" what information do you have to support this assertion? You realize baseless coments like that may be damaging to mods reputation and my cause them damages? They can actually sue you for that coment if it's factualy untrue.

Some of the positives
3 weeks to build and deliver a suit is actually amazing
It sounds like the suit didn't leak so the construction of the suit clearly isn't that bad.

Now back to you

You chose MODs because you needed a suit Good,Fast,And Cheap
had you ordered a suit in January there would have been lots of time to get all of your issues sorted out but you waited for the last minute that's your fault not MODs.

You decided to buy a suit directly from the manufacturer instead of buying from a fiamily owned dealer where you get a proply traned representative to measure and fit you.

I'm brown away that you had the nerve to bring a suit into a real dive shop and ask them for an opinion? Did you pay them for this service.
Why should they help you when your buying habits are literally driving them out of business?

You chose to dive a suit that didn't fit, this action put you and your dive buddy in unnecessary danger.
That's your fault.

Name brand suit company's have dealers, representatives, receptionists, janitors, production workers, quality control associates, repaire departments,
All of these people cost money

I feel bad for anyone who you do business with as your expectations don't seem to be realistic.

Got a Seaskin drysuit a few years ago - took a little longer than advertised, although it was still COVID era supply chain life, so not blaming them. Great quality and easy to deal with. Less than half the price of "major" suit OEMs. Had a few buddies get some since - still great.

Yes true .
Your dealer should be taking care of it?

We have had 2 suits completely remade at no charge due to fit issues.

DUI will stand behind the product

Yes true .
Your dealer should be taking care of it?

We have had 2 suits completely remade at no charge due to fit issues.

DUI will stand behind the product
Dealer cut out of the issue resolution or lack thereof and I dealt with DUI in-person at their factory/HQ locally. Even if I’m the only person ever that they didn’t remedy the problem, that’s still less than 100% of the time. The only thing they stood behind for me was stubborn insistence of “so sad, too bad” and turning what could have been a lifelong customer into a lifelong “never again”.

Anyone paying a premium* assuming that they’ll end up with a suit that fits at the end of the process should know that even at 99.999% you could still end up being the 0.001% of customers who spent 4k on a non-divable suit. But hey at least the changing Matt came with it works.

*which I admittedly fell for after buying the sales pitch of “don’t buy a Santi it has to go back to Poland if there are issues, DUI is 3 miles from you they’ll resolve everything here”. Now I have a poorly-fitting suit with a leaking and broken zipper (from the first dive) that they will only replace if I pay them to. I’m not the first victim of their ****** CS or manufacturing from what I can gather based on posts here either.

Acknowledging I’m vocal about my lemon DUI but wouldn’t you be too if you spent thousands of dollars on a suit that just sits in a bag in a closet collecting dust? I prob can’t even sell it because the proportions to which they made it I don’t think exist on a real human. 🤷

Yah I'm calling bs.
There's always 2 sides to every story

Who measured you?
What dealer did the fitting

When did this happen.
Who did you deal with at DUI on this matter.

Suit manufacturers and dealers have a process to resolve this stuff

Its luck of the draw with drysuits when you are taking the measurements yourself. Even if they build it wromg it just gives them ammo to blame you.

I ordered an Ursuit that fit like hot garbage. They eventually remade the bottoms bottom half and just blew it out a couple sizes......now it fits like a trash bag.

I gave the exact same measurements to MODS and they made the best fitting suit i have ever owned. They were also responsive to swaping out my inflator to apeks. Overall, i had a good experience and feel the suit was worth the $1800 and delivered in under a month, especially since i was in pinch from the ursuit taking almost 2 years to get no resolution.

Do i think its a high end and will be as durable as my Waterproof or bad fitting Ursuit? NO, but it is more than adequate for my diving needs and will last a bunch of years.

I have a Signature Series (MTM) TLS350 that I ordered earlier this year. I had my measurements taken at the DUI HQ in San Diego while I was there on a business trip. The resulting drysuit is an excellent fit and I am exceptionally happy. They will adjust the measurements based on the Insulation choice selected. I selected XM450, so in thin undergarments, the suit has a bit of room, but this is not noticeable at all one in the water. I plan on diving in Iceland, so I wanted the option of thicker undergarments.

I don't consider Made To Measure the same as bespoke. In a bespoke suit, the pattern is created based on your measurements. In MTM they find the closest standard pattern and alter the pattern based on the difference in measurements. I was copied on the production report and I was able to see how DUI does this.

I also noticed that many of the required measurements are designed so that there is a cross-check with other measurements. This will throw a warning if things are out of of sorts. If measure z is sum of measurements x and y but the numbers don't add up, it will give a warning.

Once cross-checked the measurements taken are plugged in to identify a standard size pattern and then adjusted as positive or negative adjustments to the size pattern selected.

I was fortunate to win a SF Tech drysuit in a raffle this year. This is also a premium, made to measure, drysuit. I will be able to compare resulting fit based on measurements to the DUI once I receive it...hopefully by the end of this month.

I had a DUI measured at DEMA years ago by Bob Stinton -- the guy who developed the telescoping torso idea -- and it fit terribly. Too short in the arms, too big in the waist and baggy in the legs. I evenutally paid Superior Drysuit Repair to have it fixed.

Ironically an off the shelf low end DUI suit -- CNSE -- fits me great and dives like a wetsuit, streamlined, warm, stretchy. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom