Cave shenanigans...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving is all about limits. Threads like this help the uninitiated learn where the lines are when it comes to shenanigans. Defacing a cave with graffiti or putting others in danger certainly doesn't fit our definition of shenanigans and no one has suggested that. I do have to admit that suggesting that this is what this thread is about is hurtful. Me? I would love to hear more about past cave shenanigans about the pioneers in this sport. Like our current crop of cave divers, I know they had a sense of humor.

I would love to hear more about past cave shenanigans about the pioneers in this sport. Like our current crop of cave divers, I know they had a sense of humor.

There are some funny stories, and thing that don't appear in Cavern's Measureless to Man. For example, Sheck had this theory that hyperhydrating yourself during deco would reduce your chance of DCS, and would drink from the spring. He was drinking gulps of water, and his dive buddy pointed to another dive with their wet suit down and was defecating. Sheck put his regulator in his mouth quickly and stopped drinking. During their long deco's because of using air, they would have deco wars. They were chasing after each other in the basin with branches and hitting each other. Paul De Loach the older team member of the group and an ex-Navy Seal had a branch hit him, and he grabbed it in one hand and snapped it. Deco wars over, back to your corner. Why does Vengeance sink have it's name? Sheck was laying line in the system, and left for a cave diving trip. Several of his friends scooped him while he was gone. When he got back he found out, and proceeded to lay line, and the next sink he encountered he named Vengeance. There is the story of Jeff Bozanic and his buddy surfacing at a sink that was owned by an ex-Hell's Angel. He pointed his shotgun at them and made them get out of the water, and stand there in their gear until the Sheriff came.Funny, I found the shot gun cleaning rod that belonged to this guy, and we had a big laugh over that. Cave diving has a history that is slowly disappearing because many of the pioneers are gone, and nothing is being documented. I have been fortunate to know many of the people from the past history of cave diving, and dive with them, and stories come out during a meal with a bottle of beer. I agree there is a lighter side of cave diving and willing to share, but in my first post I was sharing something that wasn't funny from our history, and that was when people were going beyond the Bats, and trying to out do each other with cave junk. It stopped being funny and cute, and became distracting with cave damage.

Octopus, invented by cave divers.
SPG, invented by cave divers.
BCD, invented by cave divers.
Warhammer, invented by cave divers.

@karstdvr old farts like you need to start at least a blog of some variety to start documenting them
He's doing that right here, where the whole world will find them.
but in my first post I was sharing something that wasn't funny from our history,
Those are important to share too, as cautionary and learning points.
Warhammer, invented by cave divers.
Ken, do you know the origin of the name? It's an SB thang and probably the seminal point of me becoming the owner of SB. I am surprised at how universal a term it has become in the diving industry and at how few actually know the "shenanigans" behind that.

It's been deleted. I reported it.
Just like cave shenanigans, SB shenanigans can get "out of control". It's why we talk about them and let people know when they cross that line. If you see someone cross that line here, hit the report button. If you see someone cross the line in the caves, report what you see to the proper authorities and if you feel it appropriate, tell us about it here.

I could, or you could do a search here. :D The user who first posted deeprelief.jpg used Warhammer as his moniker. The then owner, designated that the "Warhammer Maneuver".I had just joined SB that week and made a spurious comment "Talk about your off gassing" that the then owner thought funny and he made me a mod. Then he realized that NetDoc was not a medical professional but a network consultant, ie the Doctor for your Network is in, and he asked me to be an admin. The site was passed to me when he lost interest, and it all started with the Warhammer.

Glory marker?
"txgoose made it this far and lived to tell" ?

edit: Hopefully on a line marker and not graffiti.
I don't think it's the same thing as a glory hole... Although based on the decorations being discussed here you'd never know that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom