Cave line vs ziptie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is as good as a forum as any I guess - but if it gets moved, please PM me with its new location :)

Anyway - I recently used some small zipties to attach a bolt snap to my computer. This got me wondering about what the official tech and/or DIR diver party line is, on why use cave line for this instead of zipties. My knife can go through one as well as the other, so I know that can't be it. I suppose someone could try to make some argument about "string is simpler (less failure prone) than ziptie" or some other such thing. But anyway, I was wondering what the official party line is :)
Probably not DIR, but as a practical matter you shouldn't have any issue cutting either a ziptie nor caveline with your ginormous Bowie knife:
Except in the rarest of circumstances, touching some random stranger under water, in any way, is inappropriate.

Next time, pull out your dive knife, wave if a few times as if to say, "no, no no".
Lord knows what else you'll cut through in the process. :no:

I gotta tell ya, touch contact is a basic DIR skill. I'm not sure if your DIR buddy is going to appreciate you waving that big pointy knife at them. Of course, the big pointy knife isn't DIR either, we use these instead:

60012_IMAGE_MEDIUM.jpg

DIR is a complete system and the gear is only part of it. The bits and pieces of what configuration is (or isn't) DIR isn't really important in and of itself, its only important to the extent that it supports the team diving protocol.

John_B

The Fundamentals of Better Diving was published in 2000. All the photos in the book have a zip tie attaching the bolt snap to the long hose. Page 79 shows it pretty clearly.

Tom

Do you really want to argue with me about this stuff because you clearly don't have a clue. Breakaway clips on the long hose were used for quite a while and are still not a deal killer. However, they proved to be too much trouble since the orings wear out so quickly and now are not used very often. The use of zipties has never been okay for other attachment points such as lights.

There is very little stress on the zip ties that hold mouth pieces or bc inflators. I don't see a reason to change them. They have never broken.

Mouth pieces fall off all the time for divers and it is one of the most common failures in my observation. Are you saying you have never had a failure or you have never seen or heard about one?

I thought DIR was to do thing optimally, not just good enough?

Mouth pieces fall off all the time for divers and it is one of the most common failures in my observation. Are you saying you have never had a failure or you have never seen or heard about one?

I've seen them fall off and everytime it was on a shop reg where shop monkey didn't put the ziptie on tight enough. A properly installed ziptie on a mouthpiece won't allow the mouthpiece to just fall off unless there is force of unreasonable expectations applied.

I thought DIR was to do thing optimally, not just good enough?

DIR is about doing things sensibly and not going crazy when it's not justified.

I've seen them fall off and everytime it was on a shop reg where shop monkey didn't put the ziptie on tight enough. A properly installed ziptie on a mouthpiece won't allow the mouthpiece to just fall off unless there is force of unreasonable expectations applied.
Yes indeed!

DIR is about doing things sensibly and not going crazy when it's not justified.

Oh thanks for explaining that to me. I do my own risk assesments, and I avoid zip ties for attaching things and that includes BC hoses and reg mouth pieces.

Twist the ziptie and it will come apart and they also get brittle and break. The official party line is no zipties. That said zipties are great for in-water fixes a zillion cave miles from home.

that's the truth. my spg bolt snap frayed and came off during a dive. zip ties saved the day about 1000' back

Oh thanks for explaining that to me. I do my own risk assesments, and I avoid zip ties for attaching things and that includes BC hoses and reg mouth pieces.

So what you are saying is that you are no better than some shop monkey when it comes to securing a mouthpiece with a ziptie so you have to overcompensate.

Got it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom