Cave line vs ziptie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is as good as a forum as any I guess - but if it gets moved, please PM me with its new location :)

Anyway - I recently used some small zipties to attach a bolt snap to my computer. This got me wondering about what the official tech and/or DIR diver party line is, on why use cave line for this instead of zipties. My knife can go through one as well as the other, so I know that can't be it. I suppose someone could try to make some argument about "string is simpler (less failure prone) than ziptie" or some other such thing. But anyway, I was wondering what the official party line is :)

Thanks!
nd

I'm not sure what the official rationale is, but I've twisted apart a ziptied connection accidentally and surprisingly easily. A properly-knotted and prepared cave connection is quite strong, and as you mentioned, still easily severed with a knife.

Also, you can knot the caveline in different ways - some knots allow the bolt snap to swing freely, others are better for keeping it more stationary.

Twist the ziptie and it will come apart and they also get brittle and break. The official party line is no zipties. That said zipties are great for in-water fixes a zillion cave miles from home.

On the other hand on some items being able to quickly twist off the zip tie might be nice. Examples are SPG, light head etc... If it gets entangled just quickly twist it off and break the zip tie. Failure of the bolt snap on your SPG will not cause you any real harm that I can think of but being able to quickly break it off in an emergency might be useful...

Thanks for the responses. I guess my counter is:

a). How brittle is a ziptie gonna get on one dive trip? Just replace them between trips when looking over your gear (it's what I do anyway).

b). The "twist and break" could be looked at as a feature - but if it is not desired, just use two zipties (makes it a lot harder to twist and break). Again, it's what I do.

c). Carrying a few spare zipties in a pocket, one could reasonably easily replace something that broke while still underwater. Seems like that would be a bit more difficult with cave line.

Of course, I'm addressing a non-tech diving environment, rather than caves and stuff. So far, I've not heard any reason why a rec diver or someone in a rec diving environment should avoid zipties.

FWIW, my ScubaPro lp-inflator CAME with zipties, holding things together at the top and bottom.

On the other hand on some items being able to quickly twist off the zip tie might be nice. Examples are SPG, light head etc... If it gets entangled just quickly twist it off and break the zip tie. Failure of the bolt snap on your SPG will not cause you any real harm that I can think of but being able to quickly break it off in an emergency might be useful...

Its a Non- DIR answer.

Cave line can be cut if required and it doesn't have the issue of breaking when you don't want it too.

My general experience is that cave line is easier to cut than zipties, lasts longer, and is not nearly as prone to aging. I do keep a few zipties with my gear, though, as they come in very handy for quick fixes and modifications.

Failure of the bolt snap on your SPG will not cause you any real harm that I can think of but being able to quickly break it off in an emergency might be useful...

Yeah what could possibly go wrong with a SPG dangling in your exploration line 10,000ft and hours of deco from the surface.

I'm not sure what the official rationale is, but I've twisted apart a ziptied connection accidentally and surprisingly easily. A properly-knotted and prepared cave connection is quite strong, and as you mentioned, still easily severed with a knife.

Also, you can knot the caveline in different ways - some knots allow the bolt snap to swing freely, others are better for keeping it more stationary.

For not being sure with your responce, you are right on with your answer.

Thanks for the responses. I guess my counter is:

a). How brittle is a ziptie gonna get on one dive trip? Just replace them between trips when looking over your gear (it's what I do anyway).

b). The "twist and break" could be looked at as a feature - but if it is not desired, just use two zipties (makes it a lot harder to twist and break). Again, it's what I do.

c). Carrying a few spare zipties in a pocket, one could reasonably easily replace something that broke while still underwater. Seems like that would be a bit more difficult with cave line.

Of course, I'm addressing a non-tech diving environment, rather than caves and stuff. So far, I've not heard any reason why a rec diver or someone in a rec diving environment should avoid zipties.

FWIW, my ScubaPro lp-inflator CAME with zipties, holding things together at the top and bottom.

You can rationalize whatever you want. The fact remains that a zip tie is a failure point. But for that matter so is the computer you are zip tieing your bolt snap to.

Safe diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom