Cave line vs ziptie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's the truth. my spg bolt snap frayed and came off during a dive. zip ties saved the day about 1000' back

Since cave line doesn't just fray and fail spontaneously, I would imagine that checking the spg bolt snap connection once in a while before you got in the water would've saved the day in the garage, before you got 1000' back.

Since cave line doesn't just fray and fail spontaneously, I would imagine that checking the spg bolt snap connection once in a while before you got in the water would've saved the day in the garage, before you got 1000' back.

meh
it looked ok. I thought it was fine. It obviously wasn't
lesson learned

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that you are no better than some shop monkey when it comes to securing a mouthpiece with a ziptie so you have to overcompensate.

Got it.

Are you calling me a monkey? I do have sorta hairy, long arms...

Actually I have never had a mouth piece fall off, but accident analysis reveals that it is a common problem. Using a better technology significantly reduces the chance of a relatively dangerous gear failure and I prefer to do it a better way than "the DIR way".

I honestly had no idea zip ties were so "DIR".

I've adopted many DIR suggestions and gear selections and rigging ideas. Usuually when I diverge from DIR it is because I do things "another way" rather than a "better way", however this time I am very confident that my way IS better. :shakehead::shakehead:

Wonder when DIR will accept a "better" way to assemble gear? I use stainless wire and then a zip tie over the top of it to make double sure it will hold.

How in the world does an outer zip tie make you "double sure it will hold" if the zip tie can't be trusted in the first place?

That's like saying, "Cloth potholders don't work, but rubber ones do, so I wear rubber potholders underneath my cloth potholders to be double sure I won't burn myself." It's ridiculous on the face.

For these applications, one fastener is sufficient. If you want to use steel wire, knock yourself out. But it's not a better solution than a zip tie if it requires a zip tie to hold it in place (and I don't really buy that the second one is doing a darned thing if the first one is tight enough in the first place).

Last edited:
How in the world does an outer zip tie make you "double sure it will hold" if the zip tie can't be trusted in the first place?
).

Redundancy, ever hear of it? :shakehead::shakehead:

Do you know nothing about tieing knots as well? I always do an extra 6 or 8 to make double sure it holds! :D:D

Do you know nothing about tieing knots as well? I always do an extra 6 or 8 to make double sure it holds! :D:D

It is against forum policy for extras from the Lord of the Rings films to post here. You are about as DIR as batman was (the guy that talked Sheck into killing himself since most of you won't know who batman is). The DIR solution to an inability to make proper risk assesments is to take up golf.

If anyone newer who might still be around and wants to know how to tie the legendary cave knot, here is a link: How to tie a cave knot

Not everyone, of course, but the people I've met in person who argue for the zip tie seem to be unable to tie a decent cave knot. I should probable replace it, but the cave knot on my spg is going on 3 years and something like 450 dives and still looks secure. :eyebrow:

You missed the point.

If zip ties don't work, what redundancy are they providing?

If anyone newer who might still be around and wants to know how to tie the legendary cave knot, here is a link: How to tie a cave knot

Not everyone, of course, but the people I've met in person who argue for the zip tie seem to be unable to tie a decent cave knot. I should probable replace it, but the cave knot on my spg is going on 3 years and something like 450 dives and still looks secure. :eyebrow:

I'm with Rick -- tying a good cave knot is the way to go. I always tie them as tight as I possibly can, and then generally follow up with a small bit of krazy glue (essentially guarantees the knot will never come undone). However, even with the krazy glue, the cave knot can easily be cut free if necessary.

Hello,
A quick question.

DIR Diver - How to tie a loop on a light

If you look at the link above and look at the last photo you see a cave tied attachment.
My question is: what's under the caveline - it's grey-black whereas everthing else is black.

The reason I ask is that I have an older Salvo. I've tried and tried to use caveline as shown above and failed miserably. I accept I'm no good at knots - all my other attachments are ok but on the Salvo I can never get the knot tight enough that it does not slip. (i've ended up with zip ties but again it can still slip even though it's a wee bit more secure)

Apart from my crappy knot tying, can anyone with the older Salvos tell me what they do?
(From what I gather the newer Salvo has some sort of recess which helps)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom