Cape Ann Divers :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you didn't understand what I said you have never run a business with liability insurance.

In fact I've never run a business of any kind. That doesn't not change the fact the a drivers license is required by law and a C-card isn't. That gives the drivers license a lot firmer legal grounds than a C-card.

As I've post too many times already, I don't care if I can or can't use the new op. I got along just fine without the old one. It's a two hour drive one way for me. But that's free enterprise isn't it? Businesses have rules, whether or not they bend or modify those rules is up to them. I have rules too, one is not patronize businesses that have rules I don't like, that one doesn't usually bend. It's worked great for me all my adult life and thru 50 years of diving. I stand by all my posts in this thread.

The new CAD crew appear to be good people (n = 1 trip). The captain is a young guy trying to make a go of it. He wants to make sure people are safe. He is a first time dive boat owner. His e-mails were very open and responsive when I first contacted him about getting on the charter. He asked for a drysuit cert...and came up with an easy compromise when I told him I have no drysuit cert. No need for drama.

If this type of thing bruises your dive ego - that's unfortunate. If it's any consolation - it's democratic.....everyone coming aboard is new to him

Last edited:
Glad to hear that someone is running these trips again. Some of my fondest NE diving memories originated from these boats.

To those who complain about certain policies: A certificate is a written endorsement that you demonstrated certain skills to an instructor. As the previous poster pointed out, there are other ways to go about a missing paper and to prove your skills. Having a temper tantrum that someone asks for a cert is not a good way to get on the boat. How you handle this situation on the surface goes a long way towards people putting trust in your words and your ability to avoid and/or resolve underwater problems.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that someone is running these trips again. Some of my fondest NE diving memories originated from these boats.

To those who complain about certain policies: A certificate is a written endorsement that you demonstrated certain skills to an instructor. As the previous poster pointed out, there are other ways to go about a missing paper and to prove your skills. Having a temper tantrum that someone asks for a cert is not a good way to get on the boat. How you handle this situation on the surface goes a long way towards people putting trust in your words and your ability to avoid and/or resolve underwater problems.
I am not aware where anyone has had a tempter tantrum. Expressing an opinion that one will avoid a dive op because of a dislike for a policy is not a temper tantrum. It is an opinion and a personal choice.

@AfterDark It simply sounds like you're not the type of person that CAD wanted to do business with. They ran PLENTY of charters to places that didn't require an AOW card. Unless you wanted to pay their insurance, you can't complain about not being allowed on the charters that did require AOW because there was no option to stay shallower than 60 feet. That's a pretty standard request in the dive industry. Their business, their boat, their rules. If you argue with someone about the way they run their business, you can expect to not be welcomed back. Don't worry they weren't missing your patronage.

And if you've been diving for 50 years, $300 for a certification card/class isn't unreasonable at all. You won't support an agency in the form of a course, you won't pay for a charter because they require an AOW, now you won't dive with a charter because they want proof of competency with a drysuit. Maybe you should support the diving industry a little more before more shops and agencies go out of business. At least then you won't have anyone to complain about.

@AfterDark It simply sounds like you're not the type of person that CAD wanted to do business with. They ran PLENTY of charters to places that didn't require an AOW card. Unless you wanted to pay their insurance, you can't complain about not being allowed on the charters that did require AOW because there was no option to stay shallower than 60 feet. That's a pretty standard request in the dive industry. Their business, their boat, their rules. If you argue with someone about the way they run their business, you can expect to not be welcomed back. Don't worry they weren't missing your patronage.

And if you've been diving for 50 years, $300 for a certification card/class isn't unreasonable at all. You won't support an agency in the form of a course, you won't pay for a charter because they require an AOW, now you won't dive with a charter because they want proof of competency with a drysuit. Maybe you should support the diving industry a little more before more shops and agencies go out of business. At least then you won't have anyone to complain about.

You have no idea what you are talking about relating to my experience with CAD. Argue? Where did that come from? I called, asked was told no, tried a couple of suggestions that got turned down, said goodbye and never called again. You should refrain from posting sans facts.

Reading this and using the term 'temper tantrum' is NOT an unreasonable assumption going by the tone in the posts. :) He does seem like a good egg albeit very sensitive...

Reading this and using the term 'temper tantrum' is NOT an unreasonable assumption going by the tone in the posts. :) He does seem like a good egg albeit very sensitive...

Passionate about his position and beliefs would be true. IMO the entire dive industry has become unreasonable. Some other poster thinks I should support such nonsense.
IMO the dive industry is there to support divers not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom