Cape Ann Divers :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the article, it sounds like he was having a heart attack. He was tangled in some line but was helped to the surface. They said he had a medical event of the ride in.

that's the latest news. and I read he was on the CAD2 which I'm sure is devastating for the new owners. maybe totally unrelated, but their website has been down since at least Monday.

Poling bow or stern? And god almighty, if it truly was CAD2 under new ownership, what a nightmare for everyone.

My buddy and I were shore diving on Sat afternoon in Rockport, and upon exiting were asked by beach goers what happened to the diver that died. We had no clue what they were talking about. I only read about it now for the first time.

huh, I must have missed that charter on their schedule. I'm supposed to dive with them through ECD on the poling sunday - i haven't heard anything about it being cancelled. I agree - that's a tough start to the business even if it was a health related event at the surface. Unfortunate for everyone.
The articles haven't been too specific but from some of the earlier articles it sounded like the stern.

their site could be down for technical reasons. but if I had a charter planned, I'd call.
relevant twitter post - Cape Ann Weather on Twitter - he was brought ashore by the CAD2. I conclude he was diving with them, but I cannot confirm that.

Good call - I'll reach out to them today. Thanks for the info

let us know what you find out.

at least the website is back up...

I talked to ECD yesterday. They talked to the captain of CAD2 and were assured the boat is still going out. The website going down was a separate issue. Weather permitting I'll be on the boat Sunday to the poling.

I heard second hand a little more about the accident Saturday. Take it for what its worth... The diver got tangled in his line and spent too long trying to extricate himself. Went OOA or nearly so, aspirating some water. Someone was able to give him a pony and he went to the surface. Still don't know the cause of death - it sounds like he made it to the surface ok but i'm sure the event was a contributing factor to whatever happened (embolism, heart attack, etc.).

So I didn’t get to experience the new CAD2 to its full extent. We hooked up to the Poling and then they called the dive so we headed in after the captain and a diver expressed concern about the ocean conditions. Some observations:

Everyone was required to show a waiver and present an AOW or higher C-card for the poling dive. They took a pic of everyone’s card. As far as I could tell no one needed to justify experience – maybe because everyone had at least AOW? There were 2 people on doubles, 1 on a revo, and everyone else single tank diving. 9 people on the charter almost 5 men and 4 women. Only one person wasn’t in a drysuit. There were a few people late to get on the boat and they were much more understanding than I would have been. They are slipped farther down the dock, closer to the Yankee fleet fishing boats – this results in a longer walk on the pier. It looks like charterboat1 took the old CAD2 slip space. Before heading out they gave a thorough brief of the boat to include the location of the O2. The captain and mate seemed friendly enough. CAD2 looks clean and they’ve definitely worked on making the boat look better. I was disappointed that the charter wasn’t called or we weren’t able to get into the water. Before leaving I saw there was a small craft advisory due to the weather so I thought for sure we’d get blown out. Up until we passed the breaker the captain was confident we’d make the dive. I chalk that up to inexperience as a dive boat captain. I’m sure that knowledge will come with time. After hooking the wreck and observing how choppy the sea was they talked to us about how difficult it may be to retrieve a diver in distress. Another diver agreed and apparently that was enough to call it – somewhat understandable I guess after last weekend. Again I think that’s all stuff that will change as they work the charters more and gain experience working with divers and the local weather. Overall I’m open to diving with them again once I can find another charter to book. We were told we’d get refunded for this trip – most everyone booked through ECD so I expect that to happen over the next few weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom