Cape Ann Divers :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a diver from NE, this is going to have a tremendous ripple effect for the entire diving community here in the NE. The biggest impact will be from their charter business-their core business is from charters, for which they have 2 boats that run both AM and PM trips during the busy Summer months. If another operator does not pick up this part of their business, we as divers will be very limited for our dive charters. The Daybreaker and Down Under Charters are the only other 2 charters in the area and these boats are only 6-pack boats. It is certainly going to be an interesting scenario to see what and how CAD will handle their charter business.

In any event, this news came as a complete standstill shock for all of us here. There are quite a few excellent shops in and around MA but nothing like the down to earth atmosphere and service CAD has provided to us over the years.

Reactions: mdb
Just went out with them in May to the Chester Poling. Was a fantastic dive. This is a big loss for the New England area.

Reactions: mdb
Just went out with them in May to the Chester Poling. Was a fantastic dive. This is a big loss for the New England area.

If you have ever been on a dive charter on the big boat with CAD, they're one of the only boats in the area that offers:
  • A hangbar at 15ft-for deep dives
  • A fully enclosed head
  • Heated cabin
  • Capt Steve has been feeding divers with PB+J, Fruit, Crackers/Cheese, and cookies.

If you have ever been on a dive charter on the big boat with CAD, they're one of the only boats in the area that offers:
  • A hangbar at 15ft-for deep dives
  • A fully enclosed head
  • Heated cabin
  • Capt Steve has been feeding divers with PB+J, Fruit, Crackers/Cheese, and cookies.

You forgot to mention hot shower right on the boat. Did 2 charters, 4 dives with them this August. My avatar is from the "Poling" dive with them. Only been on their big boat, and it's a great boat. PB+J and crackers were hard to beat after spending an hour in 45 degree water. Capt Steve and mate (Dave?) are great people with great sense of humor. CAD will be missed.

I really hope they or the captains are able to resurrect the charter side of things. It seems like the brick and mortar side of scuba is going away and most charters are operating as a website and the boat.

I really hope they or the captains are able to resurrect the charter side of things. It seems like the brick and mortar side of scuba is going away and most charters are operating as a website and the boat.
I think CAD owns both boats so unless they sell these boats to another shop, the captains may be out of a job. If both boats are truly going away, this is going to be massive disruption to divers looking for charters next season in the north shore.

Also, anyone looking to get air fills in the same area where 90% of diving is on the north shore will be SOL. For those who depend on CAD for air fills or charters, your diving logistics may be completely messed up for 2018.

The full announcement from their web site:
November 12, 2017
Gloucester, Massachusetts

Cape Ann Divers, Ltd. is permanently closing their brick and mortar store, and discontinuing their SCUBA dive boat charter services due to decreases in sales

Open since September of 1988 and closing December 16, 2017 just shy of their 30th year in business. A liquidation sale will be held from November 16th through December 16th, 2017 at their location in the Cape Ann Marketplace 127 Eastern Ave. Gloucester MA.

“We are thankful to all our customers who supported us at our store and on our dive charter trips. We will miss all the nice people we’ve gotten to know during our tenure. We are especially grateful to our employees who made our business possible and made working here fun.” said Dave Stillman owner of Cape Ann Divers, Ltd.

Cape Ann Divers were a staple in New England Diving. Their web site is still the same it was in the late 90s. I was on their boats many times when I was teaching AOW classes in the area. David, Mary, and Steve were nice to work with. Sad to hear that Cape Ann Divers have reached the end of the line. Very few brick and mortar LDS-es in New England have managed to adapt to the new economy, so I won't be surprised if there are more to follow in the near future.

R.I.P. Cape Ann Divers

Back
Top Bottom