Cape Ann Divers :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They didn’t demand a certification, just proof of competency with the dry suit. If you don’t want a ride on their boat,you are free to go else where that has fewer requirements. I don’t have an AOW card, but that is more my problem than theirs. Had I been certified six months, I would spend the money for the card. I’ve been diving a lot longer than that and so I haven’t. I do realize not having the card may put me in a situation where I won’t get on certain dives. But that isn’t the charter captain’s problem, it’s mine... If they will accept my dive log for the last couple of years, great. It is on me to demonstrate competency that they are comfortable that they won’t get sued or have to drag my corpse back to shore.

Are they given a drysuit cert card? Or does the dive op have to take their word for it?

Same point: there are a "boatload" of drysuit divers out there who do not have, will never have, a cert for it.
depends on whether they are pursuing that certification in addition to OW. I agree that there are many drysuit divers that don't have a cert for it. But - its up to the charter operator to develop their own set of rules balanced against risks.

Well they did both evidently. Just how does an AOW card do that? There is already agreement that AOW card is almost meaningless. A shake down/trial dive would be much more effective at accomplishing that, than some card.

You meant they were trying to keep ********* off their boat; not they are trying to do that currently, that was in the past.
It is kind of like only renting cars to people with drivers licenses. It doesn't mean they know how to drive, but the insurance company requires it.

It is kind of like only renting cars to people with drivers licenses. It doesn't mean they know how to drive, but the insurance company requires it.

More accurate analogy would be denying car rentals during New England winter to people with Florida license.

More accurate analogy would be denying car rentals during New England winter to people with Florida license.
I don't think so. I think the insurance company looks at "industry standards" the AOW and says you have to have divers meet those standards to do AOW dives. An AOW card from someone who has never worn a wetsuit will work fine in a 7mm suit in cold water. In Mexico it often is different. They take your card info but then watch you like hawks until they see you can dive. More to do with not seeing someone die than the liability. But I may be wrong.

His boat, his rules.....

Agree, hence this: I was considering giving the new ops a try but after reading about their dry suit policy I think I'll pass on them too. One thing I don't need is anymore aggravation.

So I ask what's your point Rich?

No it's not like that at all, the LAW requires drivers to have a license. There is no AWO C-card law in this country.

No it's not like that at all, the LAW requires drivers to have a license. There is no AWO C-card law in this country.
If you didn't understand what I said you have never run a business with liability insurance.

Agree, hence this: I was considering giving the new ops a try but after reading about their dry suit policy I think I'll pass on them too. One thing I don't need is anymore aggravation.

So I ask what's your point Rich?
I think you could see what they are like... they are new operators and they may need to find their footing. What is the reasonable expectation from the paying diver versus what they need to do to run a safe boat. This may take them some time. What was said in a SB forum may not reflect the full context of why they asked for something (like a dry suit cert/ experience). Look at their schedule for a dive you would want to go on and then talk to them on the phone. They probably will tell you everything you need to hear for you to make decision.

I spend my days getting prejudged by people who know nothing about my business. That has made me acutely aware that you need to talk with the captain to decide if they are BS before you write them of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom