Cancun Still the place for Texans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow that is one heck of a good price. We paid $110 from LAX-CUN one way.
I think we would like to use CVChief's van guy. Do you have his contact information and pricing from Cancun to Playa?
Do you meet this guy out where the ADO buses are?
Where does he drop you off in Playa? Is it close enough that you can haul all you gears without using one of the bicycle porters?

Last edited:
The owner of the service, he has several vans, is named Jose. HIs telephone from the US is 01152 1 998 201-1720. He has a rep who greets arrivals with a yellow sign at the airport exit. Normally you get in the van right away and make it to Playa very quickly. Normal drop off is behind the Playa Mall but if you want he will drop you off where the tricycle guys are . You have to let him know the flight number and time of arrival and I've never been disappointed.

Dave

Last edited:
The owner of the service, he has several vans, is named Jose. HIs telephone from the US is 01152 998 201-1720. He has a rep who greets arrivals with a yellow sign at the airport exit. Normally you get in the van right away and make it to Playa very quickly. Normal drop off is behind the Playa Mall but if you want he will drop you off where the tricycle guys are . You have to let him know the flight number and time of arrival and I've never been disappointed.

Dave

Best way is stick the number in your phone and Whatsapp him. He answers quick on that. You can also email forsale_jose@hotmail.com

On the phone number, I do all the MX cells as +52 1 (998) 201 1720 That seems to work really well now. And tell 'em Jefe sent you.

Oh and we use to hit the Oxxo right out of the airport for some XX, but with the rapid ferry competition, you NEVER know when one is leaving. We just book it to the ferry.

Thanks for the note, I forgot to add the "1" after country code. Now fixed.

Dave

Ah, it takes so little to stop me on a call in/to Mexico. One digit is certainly plenty as I never have a clue what the fast talking recording is saying. I'm a Texan who comes bearing money to spend, but I've never learned the lingo. We have many Spanish translation below signs and after English recordings, but those are very rare south of the Grande.

Rick's van guy is very fast replying to emails so I stick to those to avoid misunderstandings. Once his driver left me wondering where he was as I waited in PDC, but no one's perfect. Traffic happens. The other times were great.

I've also learned to print out the Verizon instructions for using my phone in Mexico.
9533de1b425e668162d3c552285a9987.png

Dave

Dave, I stopped with that 011 stuff. Apparently, at least on a cell, you can just dial "+52 1" and the number. I cleared all the 011521 out of my contacts.

Does not seem to work with Land Lines here in Texas. Still need the 011 52 (1 when dialing a Mexican cell phone). It is also required 011 52 1... when using my Verizon Cell phone

Dave

So far I have never found anyone who was sure how to make a call from any phone and to any phone in Mexico. I have had a lot of people tell me they knew. With my At&T phone traveling between Playa and Cancun sometimes I had to dial one way and sometimes another.

So far I have never found anyone who was sure how to make a call from any phone and to any phone in Mexico. I have had a lot of people tell me they knew. With my At&T phone traveling between Playa and Cancun sometimes I had to dial one way and sometimes another.
It's complicated compared to dialing within the States. They're in different area codes: Cancun is in 998, PDC in 984, Cozumel in 987 I think. I think that you have to avoid using the AC if you are calling a number in the same AC, while you have to include the AC if you are calling a number in a different one - and as close as the places are, it's difficult to know for sure which AC you are connecting when you go thru unseen towers. So, try one way, then the other.

In The States, we just save numbers to phone books with all 10 digits and use those, regardless of same AC or not.

Actually dialing a number in the same AC at home, I don't bother using the AC on Verizon, but ATT may require that you include AC even locally? We used to refer to those as A & B channel carriers back in analog days when I sold for an A channel carrier that ended up owned by Verizon after a few mergers. Much has changed since those days tho, so I dunno?

Back
Top Bottom