My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-----Sunscape Sabor – A family-friendly all-inclusive AMResorts resort. Trip Advisor Page.

-----Secrets Aura – An adults-only all-inclusive AMResorts resort with free flow access to the adjacent (immediately north) Sunscape Sabor (thus adding 5 more restaurants, 3 bars & facilities). Trip Advisor Page.

-----Occidental Cozumel – A far southern all-inclusive resort. Their onsite dive op. is ProDive. Trip Advisor Page. Shawn C (Post #42) noted cab fare to town was expensive ($20+ each way) but the grounds ‘far, far superior’ to one competitor and they let him check their daughter into the kids’ club and go diving (unlike that competitor).

-----Iberostar Cozumel – A particularly far south all-inclusive resort. Trip Advisor Page. Adamgiles noted gorgeous grounds and very large beach with chairs and umbrellas. They’ve been excessed for charging high pier usage fees, so if you want onsite pickup from an offsite dive op., discuss this before you book.

-----Making the Boat: Some oceanfront resorts have a pier and/or onsite dive op. If not, you’ll have to get to the pickup point (& back) somehow (e.g.: walk, taxi, get a ride). Contact your dive op. and discuss this in the context of where you plan to stay.

-----Special Note on Off-site Dive Op. Users: Occasionally a resort with a pier may institute some sort of fee on divers using an off-site op. The fee might be collected from the dive op., not you, and the process can be onerous, such that some op.s may boycott some resorts. An example from the Dec. 2017 Guests of Sunscape, Secrets & Residencias Reef, Feb. 2018 Secrets Aura & Sunscape Sabor outcome, Residencias Reef/Secrets Pier Update March 6, 2018 and Sunscape/Secrets Pier Bracelets May 3, 2018. If you settle on a hotel or resort and off-site dive op., check with the op. about pickup before you commit.

When to Come

-----The island is far enough north for season to impact water temp.s a bit; it was 76 degrees my 2 dives there Jan. 20, 2011, 80 – 82 my 26 dives Sept. 2018. More concerning is whether bad weather will lead the Harbor Master to close Marina Fonatur (which many boats leave from, so it can knock you out of diving; Aldora Divers has some alternative capability when that happens). The infamous ‘Nortes’ (strong winds out of the north) can shut the harbor down a day or so. Christi with Blue XT~Sea Diving posted Historical Port Closures by month/year for Cozumel to show several years’ worth of closure data. It’s not a lot, but luck plays a role; I was knocked out of diving by weather on 2 out of 3 cruise stops (all Jan./Feb.) at Cozumel!

-----Winter trips are popular in the Caribbean due to the refreshing break from colder U.S. weather, often with more expensive ‘high season’ rates for hotels, despite concerns about cooler water and rough weather cancelling dive days. Wildbill9 opened discussion June, 2018 in January…yeah? No? Judging from that discussion, topside may be nicer (e.g.: cooler, lower humidity) and water still pretty warm; MMM (Post #7) noted January about the coldest time to dive Cozumel (albeit water temp.s around 79 degrees), MoreCowBells (Post #10) noted drier air and cooler breezes can make it harder to warm up between dives, and Dave Dillehay (Post #15) opined January to be the worst month vs. May-June or Sept-Oct being the best. Sefuchs (Post #12) said July – August were too hot and humid for him.

-----A more contentious issue is scheduling athletic events such that the harbor is closed, or roads are closed, and boat diving with most op.s may be temporarily halted or special arrangements made to work around it. Such events include the Ironman competition (annual), the ITU World Cup Triathlon (described by Christi as a once in a decade event for Cozumel (Post # 34).

-----For more info, see Time to find a new port (2015 thread), Has Cozumel become an Unreliable dive destination? (2015 thread), Ironman? (2017 thread), Divers – Let your voices be heard (2016 thread on ITU World Cup Triathlon issues).

-----My take: if you don’t chill easily and prefer to dive without much exposure protection, check when the water’s warmer, and ask whether your anticipated stay will coincide with sporting (or other) events apt to create conflicts.

Places to Eat

-----Blue XT~Seas’ Christi has a Cozumel Restaurants List to get you started.

-----Best Meal by Restaurant in Cozumel – Updated.

-----Cozumel Restaurant Magnum Opus Updated – Mstevens Feb. 2018 update organized by ‘meal’ rather than location or price, but their detailed restaurant map shows locations, and there’s a useful food glossary.

-----Cheap Eats – a May 2018 request for people’s favorite ‘cheap eats.’

-----New restaurants – a Dec. 2017 thread seeking newer finds.

-----If you’re staying at Casa Mexicana, Mar Y Juana Restaurant and Bar is practically next door, Kondesa at the other end of your block, Lobster Shack a short walk away and tucked behind Suites Bahia, and not far from that is Casa Cuzamil.

IMG_2604_zpskpxs8okd.jpg

IMG_2644_zps93pdcy4s.jpg

Trip Reports

1.) Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexicana Trip Report Sept. 2018 – My trip report covering 26 dives in an ‘8-day week.’ Loved it, highly recommend Tres Pelicanos and Casa Mexicana.

2.) Uncfnp’s Aldora and Tres Pelecanos reviews.

3.) iDocSteve’s Aldora report – Cozumel trip report staying at Paradise Condos and Diving with Aldora Divers April 7 – 12, 2017.

4.) Ironborn’s Cozumel Trip Report, Late May – Early June 2017. Some comparison of Aldora vs. Tres Pelicanos (i.e.: the 3Ps), ScubaLuis and ScubaTony. He categorized some types of dive sites.

5.) Group Trip – Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexicana (May 2018 group of 10 trip report by CajunDiva). She had such a good time she was back in July – Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexicana.

6.) Cozumel, a Caribbean icon – by Brandon Cole in the Spring 2014 Alert Diver Online.

7.) Aqua Safari and Living Underwater – Two different dive operators, two different views. Free access June 2015 article in Undercurrent.

8.) COZUMEL – August 2018 “Welcome home!” – by jlyle. Dive report with lots of excellent photos from a Scuba Club Cozumel trip.

9.) Scuba Club Cozumel Review – Scuba_Willy late 2009.

10.) Dive with Martin Review – ReefHound, Sept. 2017.

11.) Blue Angel Resort Review (mainly as a place to stay) – Reefhound, Sept. 2017.

12.) Iberostar & Dressel Divers Review – adamgiles, trip Feb. 26 – Mar. 2, 2018. He reported free nitrox, 5-minute boat rides and getting up to 4 dives/day.

13.) First Coz. Trip Review – MostlyIrish, May 2017. Dove with Blue XT~Sea and stayed at Sunscapes Sabor.

14.) Dive Report Cozumel and Blue XT~Sea – Trailboss123, April 2017. Noted unparalleled customer service and described the dive op. as a well-oiled machine.

15.) Trip Report – Blue XT Sea, First time Cozumel- Amazing (Apr. 2018) – by Asrael. Stayed at Villa Escondido.

16.) Trip report, Blue XT Sea (July 2018) – by mcpowell. Stayed at an El Cantil Condo and was pleased with it and the location. Very complimentary of Blue XT Sea.

17.) Quick trip report – Blue XT-Sea (August 2018). Elora_c made some comparison with Tres Pelicanos.

18.) Trip Report Diving with ScubaTony (July 2018).

19.) Living Underwater – Trip Advisor Page (when I checked, 98% Excellent rating out of 107 reviews).

20.) Hotel Cozumel And Dive Paradise Trip Report (May 2016).

21.) Trip Report Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise (Jan. 2015).

22.) Trip Report—Dive with Cristina, CenoteXperience, Sunscape (April 2018). Example of ferrying over from Cozumel for Cenote diving.

Discussions on Choosing a Dive Op.

-----Need Recommendations for our summer dive trip to Cozumel (April 2017).

-----Aldora and 3Ps Reviews. Uncfnp’s March 2017 thread related 1st hand experience comparing & contrasting Aldora and Tres Pelecanos, leading to many pages of discussion.

-----Aldora Divers vs. Scuba Club Cozumel. Reefvagabond’s April 2014 thread asking for comparative discussion.

-----Steel tank ops – a comparison between Living Underwater and Aldora. A June 2014 thread started by MMM.

-----Best Cozumel Concierge Dive Company – March 2017 thread discussing options.

Discussions on Choosing a Place to Stay.

-----Help on Where to Dive and Stay for Cozumel first timer! 2017 Discussion.

-----Why Not the North Hotel Zone? 2015 Discussion of pro.s & con.s.

-----Need Recommendations for our summer dive trip to Cozumel (April 2017).

-----Help Choosing a Place to Stay (Oct. 2017). Initial focus on Blue Angel, but covered some other options.

-----First Timer Advice (Nov. 2017). Discussed bringing a snorkeler, ironshore wall vs. sandy shore, risks with car rental/driving.

-----Suggests please, Sun Sabor Hotel not to wife’s liking
L (though as of this writing, we still don’t know why!). A June 2018 thread asking for ‘nicer hotels that won’t break the bank’ (for a picky wife).

-----Occidental Cozumel (June 2017). Charles2 mentioned at some point it was sold to Barceló, so be mindful of management changes if you consult old threads. Onsite dive op. is Pro Dive.

-----Review Casa Mexica (early 2018). UNCFNP covered a range of issues.

-----Hotel Barracuda – a popular economy option. Waynel’s 2017 Trip Report on Hotel Barracuda.

-----1st timer to Cozumel (Aug. 2018). Broad discussion of various options, with good info. on Casa Mexicana, Suites Bahia and package deals with Tres Pelicanos.

-----Coz on a budget: 2tank Dive Hostel? Best bang for buck dive ops? – Oreocookie’s Oct. 2017 thread.

General Info.

1.) Wikipedia’s Cozumel Entry.

2.) Dive Cozumel – Kindle Edition. By Steve Roseberg. I was pleased with both topside and diving coverage. $8.95 as of 9-12-18.

3.) Cozumel My Cozumel – a multipurpose guide to Cozumel for visitors with a wide range of goals.

4.) Cozumel 4 You – a comprehensive marketing and promotions company dedicated to promoting small locally owned businesses, self-described as Cozumel’s #1 source of positive info. about ‘our’ island. Their events section lists many live-music offerings.

5.) Christi’s Cozumel FAQ’s – Weather, Water temp.s, Dive Operators, Taxis & More.

6.) Arriving/Departing the Cozumel Airport – A Guided Tour.

7.) Prohibited Items – what you aren’t allowed to bring into Cozumel. Gstrek’s July 2016 thread Cozumel Airport Forbidden Items. From that thread, it was noted by various people that spare lithium batteries must be in a carry-on bag (whereas U.S. entry may require they be in checked baggage; some posters report having the batteries in a protected case is acceptable in Coz.), tools must be in checked baggage (not unique to Coz.; it cost me a scuba tool in Grand Cayman), mosquito repellent packets (Post #37), and notably, Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) – see Kaysville woman jailed in Mexico over Sudafed pills (Deseret New Utah, April 2016 article).

8.) Information regarding bringing medications into Mexico (U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Mexico).

9.) Big Yellow Map of Cozumel – at EveryThingCozumel.com, available to download and print free.

10.) More People Visit Cozumel Than Ever Before (at This is Cozumel). In 2015 set a visitor record; nearly 4-million people arrived on cruises and flights, nearly 3.4-million by cruise ship and 553,776 by plane.

Useful Diving-related Threads.

1.) Cozumel Shore Diving? A 2017 thread with pages of discussion.

2.) Staying South vs. Downtown. A 2017 thread discussing the cheaper housing & convenient access to restaurants & local culture of basing in town, vs. the shorter boat rides and peace & quiet of staying at a southern condo. (at Residencias Reef) (not A.I. resort). Ronscuba paid ~ $20/day on taxis to/from town for dinner.

3.) Packing, Travel and Diving Tips for the Invasion to Cozumel. A 2015 thread with advice for the large Scuba Board Invasion trip to Hotel Cozumel diving with Dive Paradise. Note: hotel/resort and dive op. choice for large groups requires providers who can handle large groups.

4.) Steel Tank ops – a comparison between Living Underwater and Aldora. A 2014 discussion of Living Underwater’s low-pressure vs. Aldora’s high-pressure 120-cf steel tanks.

Non-diving Things to do.

Note: I’ll provide links to some options to get you started, but I’m not claiming they’re the best or any personal familiarity.

1.) Eating out – Cozumel Restaurant Magnum Opus Updated – Mstevens Feb. 2018 update to an extensive listing organized by ‘meal’ rather than location or price. Blue XT Seas’ Christi has a Cozumel Restaurants List, and check out Best Meal by Restaurant in Cozumel – Updated.

2.) Two Dolphinariums – Note: ‘Exploiting’ captive marine mammals for public entertainment is controversial. Dolphinaris.

3.) Surfing.

4.) Kiteboarding.

5.) Parasailing.

6.) ATV Tour.

7.) Buggy Tour.

8.) Zip-Lining.

9.) Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park.

10.) Mr. Sanchos Beach Club Cozumel (also offers a number of excursions).

11.) Paradise Beach – has an elaborate water play setup.

12.) Bicycling – Aldora offers their Aldora Villa customers free bike use.

13.) Ferry over to Playa del Carmen and take a Mayan ruins tour of Tulum or Chichen Itza.

14.) Just say ‘No!’ to Scooters – explained in the 2011 thread This is why we say stay off of the scooters, the Jan. 2017 Another Moped Fatality and May 2017 Mopeds are dangerous to ALL.

15.) Topside Activity Ideas (Apr. 2015 thread).

16.) Non-Diver Ideas (June 2018 thread).

17.) Try Spearfishing (okay, actually diving-related).

Important To Know:

1.) Bringing in pseudoephedrine is illegal (see Cozumel Mexico and Sudafed and Over The Counter Sudafed Sends Utah Woman To Jail In Mexico).

2.) Iron Man competition can cancel harbor access.

3.) If the harbor closes, you may not be able to dive.

4.) Cozumel has crocodiles, some that could kill you (very unlikely).

5.) Cozumel is not ‘just’ a cruise ship port; it often hosts several ships at a time, each with thousands of passengers. This means a well-developed service industry catering to tourists.

6.) Whether to pack batteries and some other items in carry-on or checked luggage can be an issue – see the 2016 thread Cozumel Airport forbidden items, the 2015 thread Once again, batteries in carry-on or checked bags? and the May 2018 thread Update me on the battery rules!

My Brain Is Melting; Just Tell Me One!

-----If analysis paralysis or info. overload are wrecking your day, here are a few ‘bottom line’ options I’d explore for common scenarios, based on what I’ve read in others’ discussions.

1.) Fly directly into Cozumel; pay up and keep it simple.

2.) For a simple, near-town budget-but-reputable all-inclusive experience with onsite shore diving, consider
Scuba Club Cozumel.

3.) Book your stay at Casa Mexicana through Tres Pelicanos, enjoy the reputable buffet breakfast and short trip to nearby Tres Pelicanos for diving, and the shopping and dining experience of San Miguel. Eat out for supper. Or stay at Suites Bahia or Suites Colonial cheaper, yet still get the buffet breakfast at C.M.

4.) Book your stay at Hotel Cozumel, eat breakfast but skip the all-inclusive due to critical online reports of other meals, sample off-site restaurants for dinner and enjoy a little onsite shore diving. I’d book an off-site operator (e.g.: Living Underwater), or if using Dive Paradise, deal with them directly – get on smaller, faster boats!

5.) Book your stay at Aldora Villas up north, enjoy the (longer) boat rides to southern dive sites, use the free bicycles to ride into town for exercise, do some onsite shore diving. Enjoy the 120-cf steel tanks and long bottom times.

6.) Book your stay at Blue Angel Resort south of town. Onsite shore diving and a good restaurant; take a short taxi ride to/from town to add dining variety.

7.) For budget diving, choose Dive With Martin (no-added charge gear included!).

Apologies for the shift in font/style. Original report was written into Microsoft Word; plan was copy & paste blocks into 'test' forum postings, do the tedious work of selecting, copying & pasting in hyperlinks to threads & resources, copy in the URL's from PhotoBucket for pics...and then I discovered trying to paste text copied from Word into my Safari browser window for Reply To Thead...didn't. Stayed black. Paste. Paste & Match Style. No go. So I ended up copying & pasting to Word, Word wanted to know if I wanted to do it HTML style & I said yes (which preserved the hyperlinks), and I could drag and drop the report pieces into the Reply To Post boxes..in Fire Fox but not Safari.

So, a lot of rapid fire nerve-plucking tossing content back & forth later...I hope I managed not to mess anything up.

There are a number of items that could use expanding on. For example, I didn't see recent detailed reports of Blue Angel's dive op., yet when I was on the Turks & Caicos Aggressor II last April, 3 of my fellow passengers spoke well of Blue Angel; one indicated the shore dive there isn't much of a reef dive but has a lot of critters. I've read enough praise of their restaurant that if I were going to spend a week, wanted an on-site shore dive, didn't have family along so no need for a southern A.I., I'd consider Blue Angel. They're not A.I., but if the restaurant's as good as they say, I could probably eat in most days, maybe taxi to town once or twice to mess around.

But I didn't run across much detailed recent review material here, so they got less coverage than some competitors.

It would also good to have a better handle on the the southern A.I.s stack up against each other, especially topside and for families with kids along.

Richard.

San Miguel's shore line is not all iron shore; you'll see some sandy area in use by the public, but it's not my idea of a 'beach get-away.'

-----Blue Angel Resort is a bit south (~ a mile south of Hotel Cozumel), a long walk or short taxi into town. Reefhound (Post #3) noted it’s ~ 3 miles and they rent bicycles.

FWIW, a measurement on Google Earth shows a distance of 1.71 miles along Melgar from Blue Angel to the downtown ferry pier.

Thanks! Maybe it rounds up to 3 when walking in the hot sun!

Before I even hit 'Post' I could see my notes are already getting dated; I think there's a newer thread on tipping DMs in Coz., one about likelihood of getting blown out very early in the year...

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom